Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Weird bump behind gills

Birby

Reaction score
Its been getting close to a year since i've had tulip and today i noticed she had some sort of bump/tumor on her head

it may be hard to see but it is a bump behind one gill stalk and the outer membrane is see through same color as her skin and inside the bump its all red like blood/blood vessels

Attachments

• 20190221_151943.jpg
    20190221_151943.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 20190221_151919.jpg
    20190221_151919.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 20190221_151941.jpg
    20190221_151941.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 240

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you remember if there has been any trauma to the area? I wonder if it might be the stub of a gill. She already has 3 but random things tend to happen with axies due to their regeneration capabilities.

Birby

Reaction score
Do you remember if there has been any trauma to the area? I wonder if it might be the stub of a gill. She already has 3 but random things tend to happen with axies due to their regeneration capabilities.

she went to the vet today and they agreed it was a blood blister. they think she has an infection either bacterial or parasitic and shes gonna start baytril baths tomorrow.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hope that helps! Let me know how the treatment goes.

Birby

Reaction score
she had her first bath this morning and her tail is all red and one of her arms is red too now

to be fair the vet did drop her on the floor yesterday which made her tail bleed

after some more looking online do you think her infection looks like red leg?

Attachments

• 20190226_155705.jpg
    20190226_155705.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 20190226_155706.jpg
    20190226_155706.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 230

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh no! The vet must have been mortified dropping the little thing! I don't have a lot of experience with red leg but it doesn't look like other pictures I've seen. It is probably just an injury from being dropped. Keep the tank water cool and dark, and keep up on testing the water. You should see those bits healing quite quickly.

Birby

Reaction score
Oh no! The vet must have been mortified dropping the little thing! I don't have a lot of experience with red leg but it doesn't look like other pictures I've seen. It is probably just an injury from being dropped. Keep the tank water cool and dark, and keep up on testing the water. You should see those bits healing quite quickly.

it was an accident she was trying to weight tulip and tulip just flopped out of her hands
she pooped this morning so we sent it off to a fecal exam. hopefully we'll know the results tomorrow.

tulip gets her second baytril bath tomorrow

NexSocius

Reaction score
Those red marks are just from the accident, they’ll heal :) My copper decided to flap around crazy one water change and destroyed his tail. It grew back :)
I do recommend some indian almond leaves to help sooth the skin and promote healing.

Birby

Reaction score
Keep me updated!

she went to the vet today and she will have another week of baytril baths. this time the dosage is increased and she will be in a bath for 2 and a half hours instead of 1 hour.

she will now also be starting salt baths on alternating days with the baytril for 30 mins

Birby

Reaction score
Keep me updated!

its been a long time now. her fecal exam came back clear no parasites and her tail healed with the baytril baths. the blood blister went through no change though so the vet at some point wants to do a biospy of it since it wasnt related to her tail infection.

shes been pooping and eating fine but a couple days ago she had a big poop and wallowed in it (according to my dad who saw it) and now she has a red rash on her belly. my dad says its a skin infection or irritation to the poop.

should i be worried?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you have any substrate? Mine always swim through their poop but I have never had an issue like that. Keep an eye on it at the moment.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
has that blood blister changed at all? its not uncommon for axolotls to get tumors but usually they are benign, if its not a gill stalk and its not healing like a blister should that would be my guess, biopsy should tell you tho.

hope that stomach rash or whatever it is clears up, definitely contact the vet if it doesn't improve or looks worse. hope it was just a scrape :happy:

Birby

Reaction score
Do you have any substrate? Mine always swim through their poop but I have never had an issue like that. Keep an eye on it at the moment.

No substrate. the rash is still there. i will be making a vet appointment sometime next week.

@KumquatSquats no change with the blister. im gonna see if i can have the vet do the biospy when i take her in for the rash. its not on a gill stalk but its like right behind them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1