Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S.s.terrestris larvae (and mystery bugs)

A

aimee

Here are some recent pics of my terrestris larvae. They are about 4-5cm long and beginning to show signs of morphing. The gills are starting to receed and the colouring is showing through on their bodies.

The Tank with lots of plants: (sorry its a bit blurry)
11755.gif

And the Larvae:
11756.gif

11757.gif

11758.gif

You can see the yellow bands on the joints of the front and back legs showing.

Whilst adding the plants, these little critters showed up:
11759.gif

11760.gif

11761.gif

I am not really worried about these bugs as they have no pincers or claws to harm the larvae. They have beens seen eating the plants and I would guess filter feeding, also munching on waste on the tank bottom. My Cynops and N.v.v went crazy for these, the larvae are not big enough to eat the adults of these.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me a positive ID as I have a pond full of these, I thought they would be a good food source but not quite sure about nutritional value, etc..
Cheers

mike

Reaction score
It's a waterlouse (Asellus aquaticus) Aimee. A member of the Isopode family.
It is harmless to your larvae, as it eats rotting vegetation. I havn't found it to be a good food item for my newts, in fact most ignore it.
Best wishes...Mike.

A

aimee

Hey Mike
Thanks for the ID. I didn't think they would be a good food source but I guess if they don't get eaten they will help eat all the waste/rotting plants in the tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1