Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Light reflector and filter substrate(?)

R

rickard

Hi. Iv´e just got an idea that I want some feedback on
shocked.gif
. When the light in my tank is turned on it is far to bright, it heats the tank up and it causes algae in the long run. So i came up with this idea. If you take aluminum foil, take a pencil and make little holes in it, and folds it halfway around the lamp wouldn´t this stop the tank from being heated (as aluminum foil reflects the light) and the little holes will let in enough light to make the plants and my axie happy!? Well, just an idea..

And.. well.. in my filter, I use filther-whool and a regular plastic-thingy that came with the filter. Should I use ceramic instead as the whool and should (if/when I change to ceramics) I just clean the plastic-thingy and leave the ceramics as the bacteria would otherwhise be killed!?
smile9.gif

J

joan

Although you may melt your light casing.

As long as you don't clean the wool, it serves the same purpose as ceramic rings: a place for bacteria to grow. You never want to wash where your bacteria are growing.

R

rickard

Well, you are right. Dang, I didn´t think of that ^_^

Aha, that´s good. I didn´t know wool was as good as ceramic rings. Well, now I know. Thanx :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!