Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scared of the light ?????

V

vanessa

My son's axi "CHILLI" is wonderful, he has a great personality,loves to swim around and loves his dinner !! A little while ago the light bulbs went, knowing that lights are not so important i have been a little slack getting round to getting another put in. Well i finally got around to getting another light. When i turned it on he completely freaked out !! Chilli went swimming like mad and was banging into the glass. I immediately turned it off and he is fine, still being a character and eating very well. I would love to have the light on so we can enjoy watching him swim around, he is soo much fun to watch but i am afraid that he may be afraid of the light?? PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP US WITH CHILLI TO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE LIGHT

J

jarred

Axolotls do not like bright light Vanessa and do not have eyelids to protect their eyes from it. I have had no problems using fluorescent bulbs but you could try giving him protection from the light by putting in floating plants and hiding spots.

V

vanessa

Thanks for the advice Jarred. He has a log that he hides in at night. I have heard of blue lights but they can also damage their eyes so i am going to look at getting a very low watt fluro tube. Fingers crossed.
happy.gif

S

sarah

I was givin advise that in summer time dont use a light as it may warm up the tank.
sick.gif

S

sin

One of my partner's axies has started to freak out from the light when she comes up for air, doesn't seem to worry his other one however.

S

sharn

yip axies prefer dim lighting... i find mine are quite active on the floor by my bed because its quite shaded... if you must use lights use lots of hiding spots and plants

H

heather

I cant ever have my light on, every single one of my axies hate the light.

I feel sorry for my axies because when Im not around, my mom will flick on the light so she can watch them. What she doesnt get is that they just hide when the light goes on, and that shes better off watching them in the natural light of the room.

My tank has a glass top so I think im just going to get rid of the light and get that little bit more of natural light in through the top. That will reduce the uh, light-trauma treatment therapy sessions.

S

sharn

if theyre super scared of the light paint the sides and back with dark paint and maybe the lids aswell, or you could just tape dark paper to it...?

S

stipe

Mine used to be like thatbut they got used to it, they stoped freaking out when the ligh would sudenly turn on.

WOuld any one know of a aquarium light that turns on slowly, like the light gets brighter little by little until its full on, because that'll shock the axies less.

S

stipe

Hmm...im going to check my local hardware shope, BUNNINGS! lol, "lowest prices are just the begging"

A

alex

my axolotls used to be affraid of the light, now they're just used to it and when i turn it on they just crawl into there cave calmly. hopefully your axies will get used to it.

S

stipe

No mine are used to it but i want to make it more natural with the light turnig on slowling like the sun rising.

C

chris

the lights in both my tanks i felt were far too bright for them,so i had a think about it and came up with the plan of putting light reflectors on both tubes upsidedown this deffintaly solves the light problem and also stops the lights heating the water as all the beam of the tube directs into the lids of the tanks in doing this its made the light in the tank very pretty looking as well a little like mood lighting, wink wink might get them all in the mood for romance lol

52758.jpg

here is a picture of the upside down light reflector

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1