Bit of advice needed please!

brit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am new to the world of axolotl, apart from the one i remember in the science lab at school :eek:.
I have a 24" x 15" tank set up to the correct parameters right substrate, pH, no direct sunlight, room temp water etc, i used the info on here for that. My axie is 4mths old and a leustic, i am currently feeding him bloodworm, chopped up fish and the odd koi pellet. He is mega alert n happy and of course i am now addicted is it ok for him to be on his own or will he get lonely? if so do i get another one and how do u introduce them? is my tank big enough for 2?

Loads of questions sorry but any help and pointers would be appreciated :happy:

That tank isn't large enough for 2. Room temperature is relative...as most rooms aren't the same temperature so you need to make sure the tank is the correct temperature with a thermometer. As STEVE says you should begin feeding earthworms and only occasionally use bloodworms or pieces of fish as treats. I'm pretty sure Koi pellets aren't appropriate.

Last edited:
Well i consider myself 'told'. Koi pelletes however are very similar nutritionally to the axolotl pellets so i am happy enough with those, i have tried him with bits of earthworm n he didn't take it. (i say 'he' i have no idea but he looks like a boy to me lol). My brother-in-law gave him a spider when i was on holiday and apparently he loved it, is that ok? I live in uk so it was just a bog standard house spider nothing too big or venomous! Is ther any kind of 'live' fishing bait suitable as i live very close to a bait shop, don't worry i don't mean maggots but other things! Sorry for all the questions i am just very keen to give 'him' the best life as i do with any of my pets!

If i´m not mistaken koi pellets contain vegetable matter which makes them completely inapropriate for axolotls.

i will look into that further thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back