Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

half side metamorphosis?

bukowsky

Reaction score
got a for me unusual "problem" here of a friend with a sweet copper axolotl [1. and 2. picture]. Now it seems that this cute little pal is going to morph but just one side as you side on the others pics. 3 of the gills are rolling in ... but what about the other 3? There's a tongue and the axo is clicking with his tongue pushing the spoon right out of his mouth. He is just able to eat very small things ...

so it looks to me that this little axo is within a metamorphosis ... but it seems there's something wrong with it.

any idea or suggestion?

Attachments

• Keks April07 002a.jpg
    Keks April07 002a.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Keks April07 005a.jpg
    Keks April07 005a.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 726
  • Keks 271007 001a.jpg
    Keks 271007 001a.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 221
  • Keks 271007 002a.jpg
    Keks 271007 002a.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Keks 271007 003a.jpg
    Keks 271007 003a.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Keks 271007 004a.jpg
    Keks 271007 004a.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Keks 271007 005a.jpg
    Keks 271007 005a.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Keks 271007 006a.jpg
    Keks 271007 006a.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 274

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd jump right to saying it was metamorphosis. They eyes, skin, and tailfin don't necessarily reflect a morphing animal. The gills could just be atrophying, or have been injured. How old is it? What's its normal setup? Aeration? Filtration? Temperature?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that the axolotl is not in metamorphosis. The tail fin is still very full, and the overall shape and coloration looks normal for an axolotl. There are various reasons that gills sometimes grow or shrink over time. To me, I would guess that this is a case where the gills are shrinking, and for some reason the shrinkage is uneven. Interesting! Keep us posted.

bukowsky

Reaction score
yepp, if it just were the gills ... I would have thought the same ... BUT this axo has a tongue and can reach his upper palate with his tongue ... he pushed out the spoon the friend used to look into the mouth.

the gills aren't injured, the right ones just decreased. Water conditions are okay as I know him and he has a couple of other axos in the same tank. Besides that, both sides of gills should be affected if it comes from water conditions.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If the gills are shrinking due to lower oxygen demand, they won't necessarily do it symmetrically.

As far as the tongue... I have no idea. I was under the impression that all axolotls had tongues.

bukowsky

Reaction score
As far as the tongue... I have no idea. I was under the impression that all axolotls had tongues.
yes, they all have a kind of tongue plate situated and fixed at the bottom of their mouth ... you can't really see it as a tongue and we usually can't use it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1