Last Option...

One of the photo's of his face seems to show that his eyes are protruding, it looks to me that he may be 'morphing'.

* I have merged your two posts .

Last edited:
One of the photo's of his face seems to show that his eyes are protruding, it looks to me that he may be 'morphing'.

I had a closer look not that long ago and they have changed a fair bit... there is a dent under each eye, i think he is morphing because he wants to and not due to water, food ect the other two axololts seam fine so i guess ill see how he goes and keep you all posted :D

I remember you posted a while ago - Were you keeping all 3 in the 2ft tank, or had you moved them to something bigger? As Azhael said, metamorphosis can be brought on by bad conditions - if I were you I would be keeping a close eye on your others and the state of your main tank to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to them. Chances are if the water quality is bad it won't induce metamorphosis, they will simply die. I'm under the impression that spontaneous morphing is insanely rare, so it was most likely brought on by something. Having said that, there is still a very very slight possibility that he is one out of a million that decided to morph naturally.

Do you:
Pick up waste and uneaten food every day?
Keep an eye on the water parameters and temperature?
Do regular water changes? - If they're in a small tank you should be doing them pretty frequently. If they're still young then it's not that bad keeping 2 in a 2ft tank, but you have to be diligent with cleaning and water changes. 3 axies in such a small space is definitely overkill - Please disregard this if you've upgraded to a bigger tank though :happy:

I'm sure you know this, but aside from the threat of impaction that Ray mentioned, having stones in the tank make it a lot harder to keep the water clean because food and waste gets stuck in between them.

Good luck with your boy, you will be lucky if he manages to successfully morph - it is very stressful and I don't think there is a very high survival rate for axies that go through this.

Do you:
Pick up waste and uneaten food every day?
Keep an eye on the water parameters and temperature?
Do regular water changes?

I'm sure you know this, but aside from the threat of impaction that Ray mentioned, having stones in the tank make it a lot harder to keep the water clean because food and waste gets stuck in between them.

Good luck with your boy, you will be lucky if he manages to successfully morph - it is very stressful and I don't think there is a very high survival rate for axies that go through this.

1. Yes i clean all waste, food and bits that are on the bottom of the tank each day,
2. I test the water every second day and keep the temp about 19 - 20 as best i can,
3. I do a water change when i feed them about every second to third day unless the "tests" show otherwise:happy: oh and they are in a slightly bigger tank but not by much:(

The Stones in the tank only cover the far corner of the tank and the rest is bare bottom, i want to put in sand but its hard to find at the pet shops near me some have never even heard of the sand... i was thinking about using pool sand?

I put him back into the main tank just so i could do a full water change in his tank and he went for a swim then to the bottom???

i hope he morph well i dont know what my girlfriend would do if i lost him she loves him lots:love:

I'm impressed you can keep the temp so low, you're doing better than me! It sounds like you've got all your bases covered, hopefully somebody with more experience will be more helpful.

There's been quite a few discussions on the subject of morphing, I'm sure if you search through the forums you'll find some helpful information on how you can help your little guy survive.

As for the sand, I use Children's play sand which they sell cheaply at Bunnings. You have to clean it for ages before you put it in though. Alternatively you can try pool filter sand from a pool shop, which I think is a bit courser and cleaner so you don't have to wash it as much. I wouldn't get sand from a pet store/aquarium shop - it will be much more expensive and most of them will contain salts or calcium which will mess with your water.

Whoa this is amazing! I hope all goes well for you and your little guy!

I am amazed by how much he has changed in a day or two.

Keep us posted please (with photos too:p)!

All is still going well, he ate a little thou not much at all it was still good to see him eat (about 3 small nibbles)

Does any one know if a morphing axolotl would still want to spend alot of time under water?

He cant seam to make up his mind and has been under water almost all day today only coming to the top every now and then for gulps of air?

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has hearding anything more about this little morphing axie?

Hey, there has not been much change at all?
his head has changed a little, his tail is getting thicker and eyes are sitting out a bit more and thats about it?

i think he is taking his time with it all im not sure thou i will get some more photos up this week :)

he did go for a small land walk this morning which was cute haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back