Illness/Sickness: Super worried - silly behaviour axolotl

Luci

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi there, me and my boyfriend welcomed an axie in our home one week ago. We are new to axolotls and we are already worrying about it. Could someone help? Before buying our axolotl we set up the tank about 2 months prior its arrival, we were feeding the filter with bloodworms and all the water values were perfect. Since we have the axolotl, it is been doing silly things - standing on top of the filter, floating, getting air to make bubbles straight after getting them... Sunday all the water values were still perfect, but as he's been more silly in the last couple of days. I re tested the water and the ammonia is gone up a little (about 1.0 however I am using strips and need to get a liquid test asap as the colours are a bit hard to read), probably because of his poop (We couldn't see it at first and we cleaned it up as soon as we saw it but we are not sure about how long it stayed in the tank). We cleaned everything up, changed about 25% of water and he looks a bit better, however he is still doing the floating thing which worries us a lot.
He does not do it all the time but quite often and for quite a while. Sometimes it looks like he is really struggling to get to the bottom of the tank and he has to grab the plants or his cave to not be pushed back up. However sometimes he is perfectly fine and has no problem in standing at the bottom... He is eating alright and we feed him with a tweezer and remove the food straight way if he doesn't eat it, but we just cannot figure out if there is anything going wrong? :(
Also today I got super scared, I woke up and saw the axie floating in the middle of the tank plants and couldn't see his gills moving. I run to the local shop to get some fresh water to move him in the fridge and as soon as I came back he was swimming around moving his gills alright! D: So I started to tell him to stop being so silly but he doesn't listen, he probably wants to kill us! D:
What can we do to help him if there is actually something wrong?
A part from changing the water everyday to bring the ammonia down I don't really know what to do?

Thanks in advance

Your axolotl's behaviour sounds pretty normal. They're silly little things sometimes and some of them simply like to float. Or sleep in the plants. Or blow bubbles.
However, when he is struggling to get down, it probably means that his belly is full of poop. He should stop floating after pooping. Could you keep an eye out to see if this is the case?
What are you feeding him? Maybe his poops are extra float-y because of his food?

Sounds like normal axie behavior to me, It can be pretty easy to over think your axies behaviour :p, if you're still worried you could pop them in the fridge for a few days

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back