Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What subspecies?

Zach42

Reaction score
Someone found these newts in Monroe county, Indiana and thought they were two different subspecies, a Central and Red spotted. I believe this is within the intergrade range for the two subspecies in Indiana, but I would like to hear some more opinions on what subspecies they resemble more.

newts1.jpg

newts2.jpg

newts3.jpg

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
In my opinion, the lighter one looks more like a N. v. v. since he has bigger, and many more spots. While the darker one looks more like N. v. l. since he has very small and very few spots.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coloration in Notos is so variable that I would hesitate to say anything about what they resemble. The formerly-named subspecies of Notophthalmus are not taxonomically valid; there is not enough genetic difference among them to even call them subspecies. They are just "morphs" or races.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I wasn't saying the color was what differentiated them. I was just using color as a basis for them to identify the one I was talking about.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't saying the color was what differentiated them. I was just using color as a basis for them to identify the one I was talking about.
Yes, I understood that. What I meant to imply is that the person who thought they were two different subspecies was mistaken, both because either race could "look like" either of these animals, and also because there aren't really any subspecies.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!