Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma incomplete Metamorphosis

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Through out the years reading up on salamanders either articles or books. I've come a cross the term "incomplete metamorphosis" a couple times, referring to Ambystomatidae. Im not sure what defines this term and how often incomplete metamorphosis can happen. Anyone have the details? The articles/books were very vague.

I've had 2 Axolotls in the past and 1 currently showing signs of metamorphosis. Slowly but surely the dorsum has decreased significantly and the eyes are bulged out. Sometimes the eyes can retract into the socket and pop back out when swallowing food. Then all of a sudden the changes stop and it seems like now I have a salamander in paused metamorphosis. Maybe there is also a term for the stopped morphing?

I've had Tiger Salamander larvae morph and the dorsum and eyes were the 1st signs of change. Im not sure if (incomplete metamorphosis) would be the exact term for my Axolotl example. I'm assuming that it refers to Ambystoma or others salamanders that transition to land and retained larval traits.

Pictures are for comparison. The orange circle pin points the bulgy eye.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 5,057
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4,424
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 758
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!