Red veins in tail

E

emily

I am a little concerned with my albino axie. When I got this axie, it was pretty small, about 5cm. Its now about 15cm but its not really a white colour anymore, I thought it might have been stress, but now i'm thinking it might have hemmorhagic septicemia. I have looked on here and on the net but cant seem to find much info on how to treat it. Its tail has huge red veins in it as well as its back legs. I think its body is slightly pink too. I have it in a 4ft tank with 2 others (a wild type and a black one) and I dont think they have any symptoms at all (its hard to tell because they are dark in colour). I can post some pics in a little while (not home at the moment). Are there any ideas??

Thanks
Emily

I hope someone can give an answer, because I am looking to find what's wrong with my Leusistic, she is displaying similar symptoms to yours, what makes you think it's hemmorhagic septicemia?

That sound scary... deadly? yukky

One of our leucistics, our older one, does that when it is extremely stressed. The day we bought him home and the few days settling in he would madly swim round the container on his side, while his tank was cycling, and seemed more pink than white, big red veins on tail and red back legs, like you describe. Previous owner did warn me that he gets stressed very easily esp. during flat moves and summer. That's all I can really add, probably not much help to you.

If you can see the veins, it's probably not hemmorhagic (this involves the rupturing of the blood vessels).

What are the temperatures of the tanks? Have you done anything to the tanks lately (including cleaning, rearranging, filter changing, etc)? What are you feeding? What are the water parameters?

I figured it was stress, my girl is easily stressed, it doesn't take much. But I checked on here just to make sure, because I have not seen her so red before, and when i read this post i did worry a little, but even though she's not eating, she is active and not looking sick in any other way. I have just set up the home made chiller because it's getting hotter... so the combination of warmer water and the setting up the chiller has I am sure sent her over the edge... smiles... I think sometime the way she is, that if she was human, she would need weekly visit to a shrink... smiles.

Hey guys, I'm so sorry for not being able to reply, I have been away for a week without internet access. I took my axie to a fish place, they said it looked skinny and that i should feed it more and there was nothing wrong with it. I was feeding it 2 cubes of blood worm every second day but have increased this to 2 cubes every day. The axie doesnt really like ox heart or garden worms. When I got the axie it was white (about 6 months ago) but as it has grown its become more pink with veins. All the parameters are fine, havn't changed anything except putting it in a tank with other axies (it was always with 1, but now is with 2) in a 4ft tank. It was pink before this but I figured it would be better for it to be in a big tank. While I was away I had somebody feed it everyday, 1-2 cubes, i dont think it has put much weight on, but i guess that all takes time. Its very active, the temp is a 20*C. I'm inclined to believe the fish place saying that it is fine and just looks a little skinny, but they also said that to water was too cold and that i could put a heater in the tank to increase the amount of food that it would eat, obviously I didnt do this. They offered to look after it for me while i was away, then they said they would put a heater in the tank while they had it, I chose to leave it with my family, and its doing ok, but its still pink. I always take it out the tank every time i feed it because its too hard to feed it small amounts in a large tank, could this be adding stress to it? I'm not sure if i should just continue what im doing and think that it will be fine...

Thanks.
Emily

Yeah, it'd definately be causing stress to move it to feed.

Try putting the bloodworms in a bowl inside the tank. This keeps them contained. Your axies will sniff them out.

20C is kind of high, which could be causing the pinkness.

I use a plain glass candle bowl - it works perfectly well for Spyyk, who enjoys it immensely!

ok thanks guys, i'll give the bowl a go
happy.gif

Me again, i'm convinced my axie is sick. i have been feeding everyday, and its slowly eating less and less. when i fed it last night it took a mouth full of food and tilted to its side and had a little trouble regaining balance. I have noticed its back legs seem to float and sometimes it touches its back feet together. I have put it in the fridge, is there any other suggestions of what i can do for it? I have tetracyclin treatment from another situation, is there any point in trying a treatment of this? Its body is pink basically and there are tiny little veins all over its skin on its back, not sure what to do.

Thanks
Em

lower the water in the container, if it isn't, so that he can't float, but water remains just above his fin and his feet rest on container. This might help destress him a bit too. Just hold of on the tetracyclin treatment for a while and see how he goes in the fridge.

And keep in mind that axolotls probably won't eat every day. I feed mine 3 times a week, and it's not unusual for them to refuse food. Older axolotls just don't eat as often as juveniles. They don't need the added food to fuel growth.

Don't keep your axie too warm! I find axie's mostly like "comforftable" cool temps, Try feeding your axie some red meat ( liver, schnitzel meat, chuck steak..... not mince! too many preservitives ) i find it easier to manage exactly how much they eat and a few baby danio's or white cloud's seems to kick start their natural insticnts including their feeding....

Regards Eastern_axle

ok thanks guys, do albinos go really pink in the fridge from the cold temp?

has your axolotl recently had any damage done to it like bites because my youngest one got a chunk biten out of its tail and it has the red vains going thou its tail all kinda coming from the damaged area

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back