Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Stuck Fish?

Rednut

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a couple of awesome axolotls girls. They have been quite happily sharing their tank with 1x small very fast catfish. Said catfish is now only a tail hanging out of the mouth of the larger axy.(about 22cm) I know that they do eat live fish, but is it normal to have them sticking out of there mouths and if so for how long. Any advise would be appreciated as I am worried about her.:confused:
Cheers
Rednut

melfly

Reaction score
Hi. I think a catfish was a bad choice of tankmate to be honest. You could try a salt bath in hope she regurgitates it. I would be concerned as having this fish stuck could kill your axie. Dont have any tank mates in future. I hope she spits it out. Mel

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If worst comes to worse, try and give the tail a gentle pull. I've heard of people assisting their axies who have bitten more than they can chew (in this case an entire fish). Make sure to be extremely careful, as some catfish are equipped with spines that could easily damage an axolotl. Don't force it, but if she doesn't intend to eat it, and is just hanging out with it in her mouth, you may be able to remove it. I agree fullheartedly with Melfly that the catfish was a poor choice of tankmate, axies are best kept only with other axolotls.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are several similar incidents recorded here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters
If you could send me a photo, I would like to add it. It might help other people to not repeat the same experience.

Because of the spines, this is a tricky situation. It would help if you could get help from a vet, who could anaesthetize the axie, making it easier to get the fish back out. If you cannot get a vet, you at least need another person to help hold the axie during the removal process.

Rednut

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys,
Have to agree that the catfish wasn't the smartest of ideas. Have had a go at removing it by gently pulling on its tail, no go, it was in there pretty firmly and I didn't want to force the issue and risk more discomfort to the greedy bugger. That was last night, this morning she appears to have swallowed a bit more of kitty as the tail is no longer hanging out and she can close her mouth. Can still see evidence of the catfish via her gullet. :(
Cheers
Rednut

Rednut

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys,
Have to agree that the catfish wasn't the smartest of ideas. Have had a go at removing it by gently pulling on its tail, no go, it was in there pretty firmly and I didn't want to force the issue and risk more discomfort to the greedy bugger. That was last night, this morning she appears to have swallowed a bit more of kitty as the tail is no longer hanging out and she can close her mouth. Can still see evidence of the catfish via her gullet. :(
Cheers
Rednut

I hope this is good news, but she has finnally spat out the cat fish. The barbs were all still in place as well. I have put her in some lighly salted water and popped her in the fridge. I hope this is the correct thing to do. PLEASE advise
Cheers
rednut:rolleyes:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's good news. I'm sure a visit to the fridge won't hurt. I expect that the axie will be just fine.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, if she shows no sign of distress or discomfort, let her be. If she did possibly cause injury due to a barb or something of that matter, a salt bath isn't necessary. I would just let her stay in her tank and monitor her. The less stress the better after such an unusual ordeal.

melfly

Reaction score
Glad she's got it out. If shes already in the fridge i would leave her in there for a few days. Dont forget to change her water daily while shes in there, with fresh water of the same temp. Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1