Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

JUST A FEW EARTH WORM QUESTIONS

A

ammar

Hey people, I cought like 50 worms yesterday, to feed brenden, hopfully he eats 1. I just had a few questions about earth worms.
How long can they live under water?
If i chop them into a few peaces how long will those peaces live?
How long do they live?
what should I feed them?
and i think thats it i probably have more questions but thats all I can remember, so if i can remember the rest ill eddit the post.

P

pin-pin

Hi Ammar,

Here is a good article on how to feed worms to your salamander: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

Worms survive under water less than a day. If you chop them up, they will die within minutes.

You can try to feed the worms organic debris (such as decaying leaves), but it's not necessary unless you want to culture them. If you found the worms in the wild, often they are a type which will not do well in a culture.

A

ammar

Thanks pin pin wei, but i was thinking my family wastes alot of food do you think that maybe the left over fruit that gets in the garbage at the end of the day i could feed to the worms.

J

jennifer

If they are the gray-colored earthworms that you find in soil, then, no, they will probably not do well living in a bucket with veggie scraps. It might be worth a try, but they might all just die.

The kind of worms that eat veggie scraps and do well living in a container are the redworms (reddish in color and with prominent bands/rings).

C

chris

actually i've been keeping nightcrawlers in a bucket full of soil and giving them veggie scraps and they have been doing quite well.

J

jesper

They might live but they will not reproduce. How do you know it is "nightcrawlers" and not "redworms" by the way? The taxonomy of worms is not simple(to apply it at least...) or even very well explored. I have experienced that worms thrown in aquatic tanks have survived several day while some have died within half an hour. Someone once told me that you can only chop a worm into x pieces without it dying. I did try this but the pieces survived so I am not sure about that, to me they seem to survive any amount of chopping really(not very likely though..). I have thrown 1cm-2cm long pieces of ~10 cm long worms(Eisenia hortensis) back into the culture(well the sals didnt want the whole worm...) and found at least some of them healed later(they are easy to find since they are short and really thick). If you cut them up and throw them in water I dont think they will survive for long.

Sorry about the highly unscientific ranting...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1