Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nightcrawlers for My Fire belly newt....can they just crawl around in there??

Devenchinso

Reaction score
Jus wondering if i could leave a couple worms in there so he could find them and eat them
Like hunting around for the worms. Rocks are kinda large so the worms can definetly squeeze through.
Wondering if its a good idea or not
Thanks

AeonMapa

Reaction score
My fire bellied newts love earthworms! However there might be some problems with just leaving them in there.

1. Are you talking about an aquatic set-up? Worms need to breathe air, and after a few minutes will drown and die, and begin to decompose fouling the water.
2. A full worm might be to large for them to ever eat. How large are the newts and the worms? My CFBN aren't too comfortable eating worms longer than their tails. It might be possible, but I find chopping the worms to about 1/3 - 1/4 of the newts body length makes it so much easier for them to eat.
3. Newts might be able to dig worms out of a burrowing substrate, but if they get under some large river rocks, your newts might never be able to get to them. And unless you feed the worm or provide it with adequate housing, it will die and foul your set-up.

That being said, earthworms are a terrific staple food for newts! I feed mine on a mixed staple of petstore tubifex and wild caught earthworms. For the earthworms I chop them into small bits, about an inch or less, and just throw them into the feeding area of my 100% aquatic set-up. The newts find them quite quickly while they're still wriggling and eat them quite easily. The worms stop moving after about 3-5 mins and newts lose interest so I remove them.

If you want to keep LIVE FOOD in your tank, I would suggest finding some clean tubifex! They are quite nutritious as well, and small amounts can live in your tank no problem! The newts will definitely have a great time hunting them down too :)

Devenchinso

Reaction score
Yeah ..dang thats what i was thinkinhg
The worm was cut up on pieces and a lil piece seemed to slither away
I really hope i dont have to clean my whole tank because of one nightcrawler piece......

Thanks for the info on the live food. Ill check it out
Thank you

AeonMapa

Reaction score
You're welcome! Don't worry a small nightcrawler piece wouldn't completely foul your water, assuming you have at least 10 gallons and proper filtration. Although you really should try and remove it as soon as possible.

If you're open to the idea, I'd suggest buying some Red Cherry Shrimp for your tank! They are great scavengers and will even eat worms, as well as work on the algae in your tank. They are completely non-disruptive to the newts, and usually too fast to be caught. Aside from this they are a joy to watch and raise as well :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1