Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Unusual Wild type

klaydogz

Reaction score
This is Axel She is a wild type. Has anyone else ever seen one like her? I have looked and she seems quite unusual.

Attachments

• axel.jpg
    axel.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 3,247
  • axel2.jpg
    axel2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 759
  • axel3.jpg
    axel3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 706

sde

Reaction score
OK I'm not that familiar with axeis but that kinda looks like a tiger salamander neotone, but I'm not sure. Just a thought. :happy: -Seth

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
OK I'm not that familiar with axeis but that kinda looks like a tiger salamander neotone, but I'm not sure. Just a thought. :happy: -Seth

Here's a picture of a typical tiger larva: http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...nders-nearing-metamorphosis-full_dsc_1133.jpg

As you can see, their toes tend to be more rounded than an axolotl's. Their markings also tend to be less "extravagant" than an axolotl's, and axolotls don't develop stripes on their tails like tiger larvae do. Just a few differences to look for. :happy:

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That is what we are calling speckled wild type gfp. Where did you get it? It looks like one of mine.

klaydogz

Reaction score
@ Michael . We got her from Jay Sommers. We checked her under blacklight but there is no glow. Her eyes are green like they appear in the picture . I do have one of your het coppers though :D

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The green eyes are a dead give away that it is a gfp. In the wild types the fluorescence is masked by the dark color. Sometimes you can fluorescence in the belly of wild types.

klaydogz

Reaction score
Since I never requested GFP i just figured she was an unusual normal. Thank you. I learned something new :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1