Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very fast brine shrimp hatching.

P

patrick

I have a setup similar to Jennifer Macke's brineshimp hatchery where I use a 2 liter bottle secured upside down and upright with an airstone at the bottom of the bottle.

I have about a liter of water, a tablespoon of salt, and about an eighth of a teaspoon of eggs. I have been starting them at about 5 oclock PM and I leave my desk light shining on them until I go to bed, and in the morning when I wake up I have brine shrimp, by the afternoon I have more than enough to feed my larvae for the day. And since I have a pound of eggs, I just hatch a new batch each day. Is this normal? I expected to have to wait a couple of days before I could harvest them. But they are very plentiful by the next day, and my larvae's bellies are constantly orange now.

is it possible that not all of them are even hatched and I could come back the next morning and have just as many brine shrimp so that I don't have to start a new one each day?

J

jeff

you should try turing off the air, and letting them setting with a light on. In about 3 minutes, all the live ones will be concentrated at the bottom near the light, suck those out, feed them to the newts, and then turn on the air and check it again the next day.

J

jeff

I think I found an even better way to hatch-

I stuck a small aquarium heater in a large 1 gallon water container and set it on medium, put the air hose and thermometer down there, and its staying right on 83.

The light was bright, hot and bothersome. This is much nicer and more effecient, and safer, as those lights can heat up or burn/short out.

71160.jpg

there is still enough room for the bubbles to escape and the water level is above the waterline mark on the heater as it should be

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1