The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Reply

 

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2015   #1
Isabella
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 28
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

This may sound kinda stupid, but I was wondering if axolotls could eat bits of real raw shrimp? Since they can eat beef heart it thought it could make sense...



Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015   #2
SnotOtter
Member
 
SnotOtter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 90
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path
Default Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Pellets and earthworms make up the bulk of their diet but mine love chopped cocktail shrimp, krill, squid and scallops. Probably not best as a sole food source. Everything in moderation.



SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015   #3
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast
 
auntiejude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 3,683
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

They can't have beef heart....

But they can have raw fish, shellfish and crustaceans.



__________________
I've given up counting since it changes on a weekly basis. I keep axolotls, salamanders, newts, a beardie and an oscar.
My Facebook axolotl page
auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015   #4
Isabella
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 28
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotOtter View Post
Pellets and earthworms make up the bulk of their diet but mine love chopped cocktail shrimp, krill, squid and scallops. Probably not best as a sole food source. Everything in moderation.
Thank you! I was just wondering if I could give him small portions of it, just as a little treat This was very helpful!



Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015   #5
Isabella
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 28
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
They can't have beef heart....

But they can have raw fish, shellfish and crustaceans.
Oh, I've heard stories of people feeding them strips of beef heart/liver, but I don't know too much about that.


You said they can eat raw fish, shell fish and crustaceans... Could I feed any creature in those categories or are there certain restrictions? (Everything in moderation, of course!)


And I'm just curious I probs sound super dumb..



Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015   #6
SnotOtter
Member
 
SnotOtter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 90
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path
Default Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
And I'm just curious I probs sound super dumb..
Not at all, good questions.



SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015   #7
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast
 
auntiejude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 3,683
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Oh, I've heard stories of people feeding them strips of beef heart/liver, but I don't know too much about that.

You said they can eat raw fish, shell fish and crustaceans... Could I feed any creature in those categories or are there certain restrictions? (Everything in moderation, of course!)
Yes, any type of unsmoked fresh raw fish is fine, raw scallops, raw clams, raw shellfish of almost any kind - just remove bones or shells and cut into strips if needed. Prawns, crayfish etc should be deshelled and cut up. Raw squid can be used too.

But in all honesty unless they are just offcuts from your regular food I wouldn't but any in just for your axies, it could get expensive. If you want an interesting snack for your axies try live shrimp - fun to chase and eat for the axies, great to watch axies on the hunt for you.
,



__________________
I've given up counting since it changes on a weekly basis. I keep axolotls, salamanders, newts, a beardie and an oscar.
My Facebook axolotl page
auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2015   #8
Isabella
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Nationality:
Location: [ Members Only ]
Posts: 28
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Isabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
Yes, any type of unsmoked fresh raw fish is fine, raw scallops, raw clams, raw shellfish of almost any kind - just remove bones or shells and cut into strips if needed. Prawns, crayfish etc should be deshelled and cut up. Raw squid can be used too.

But in all honesty unless they are just offcuts from your regular food I wouldn't but any in just for your axies, it could get expensive. If you want an interesting snack for your axies try live shrimp - fun to chase and eat for the axies, great to watch axies on the hunt for you.
,

Thank you so much! I'll definitely try some of these and tell you how it goes



Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axolotl, diet, feeding, food, shrimp

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this okay instead of regular water changes? epicbattle Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate 12 26th November 2013 17:28
Shrimp for Axolotls jmtonkin Food: Live, Frozen, Freeze-Dried, Pellets, etc 5 25th May 2011 06:34
Axolotls with shrimp. mthom211 Axolotl General Discussion 15 14th June 2010 05:05
Is this regular behavior ??? oatmeal23 Newt and Salamander Help 9 30th March 2008 12:27
How regular is ur axie? greta Axolotl General Discussion 11 18th October 2006 08:47


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:52.