Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Trematode infections lead to deformities

eyrops

Reaction score
This was an interesting article. I have seen Minnesota leopard frogs with missing and with extra parts, and have followed the research just enough to know that trematodes were involved in some cases of amphibian limb deformities. So it appears that a non-susceptible gray tree frog tadpole population can act as sponge to attract and kill the trematodes, lowering the infection rate for American toad tadpoles in the same system. Tadpoles that appeared to be simple competitors actually share a more complex relationship. It would be interesting to model this effect at different relative population densities of the two species of amphibians and at different densities of trematodes. It seems to me that at a low enough levels of trematodes or a high enough density of tree frog tadpoles that infections of toad tadpoles could be quite rare. It would also be interesting to see if presence of gray tree frog tadpoles was correlated with lower infection rates for American toad tadpoles in the field. Thanks for posting the link!

-Steve Morse

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1