Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Just received 500 canadian nightcrawler

mamangenn

Reaction score
i have read a lot about how to keep them. but i would like to know what worked the best for you.

500 worms is a lot cheaper... but a lot of worms. the seller told me that i could keep them for 8 months in the fridge.

i dont want to make a mistake... cause a mistake with 500 worms... lol it is not a good way to save money... lol

thanks

mikeg

Reaction score
Did you get it from the Canadian Nightcrawler Whole seller in Windsor Ontario? I buy the 1000 box and i separate them into 4 big ziplock bags with fresh dirt, take them out one by one because there are usually about 100 that have been squished but are still alive, i feed those one first, and do not keep them in the Styrofoam box the box will start to sweat and your worms will start to rot alive because of the moisture level is too high and trust me the smell will make you never want to touch a worm again! I made this mistake twice before i figured out it was the Styrofoam box plus they will last allot longer than 8 months if kept in another container

mamangenn

Reaction score
yes thats where i got them. really good price. i use about 20 worms a weeks.

could it be 4 contener instead of ziploc bac? with some holes for air?

i have kids... they will probably poke the bag and break it. lol

do you change the dirt?

do you put piece of news paper?

mikeg

Reaction score
Yes its a amazing price! I have been buying from him for a while now i am very satisfied. Yeah containers will be fine i put them in zip locks because they are narrow but tall so they fit on the door of the fridge. Yes i did change the dirt, fortunately my mom was gardening and she had a left over bag of dirt so i put those in the zip lock and then put the worms ontop with in 2 days they just found their way all throughout the dirt, No i didn't put anything put dirt i dont even feed them if i put food in it just sits their and never gets eaten it could be in their for months no change.

mamangenn

Reaction score
thank you. i put them in a contenre with little pieces of newspaper( like when they were in the shipping box)

thank you for your help:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1