Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A. Opacum missing toes

TheMattSign

Reaction score
I ordered 2 A. Opacum's a little less than 2 months ago. At first they were both eating fine, but after about a month one of them stopped eating. After trying different food items to no avail (the healthy one ate them all, but the other one did not) I quarantined the one that wasn't eating into a simple set up with non-bleached paper towels as substrate and noticed that it was missing it's toes on it's back two feet. Looking at the pictures from the first 2 weeks he had them then and looked fine. The only two things I can figure are it's sick or the other A. Opacum was being aggressive, although I haven't heard of them being aggressive in that way. Any thoughts here? He still hasn't eaten after 24 hours of being quarantined. Thanks.

Cloppy

Reaction score
My Marbled salamanders have never shown anything like this, but try to get it eating, and keep in separate from the other one for a bit. The toes will regenerate quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!