The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 18th March 2004   #1
ray

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Best source or Triturus literature

What book in the English language provides the most information about the natural history/care of Triturus?

Old 19th March 2004   #2
Mike East
(mike)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

For natural history, probably: Newts and Salamanders of Europe, R.A.Griffiths, ISBN 0-85664-100-X, also good information in: The Amphibians of the former Soviet Union, S.L.Kuzmin, ISBN 954-642-045-X.
For care, the Caudata Culture species database. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 19th March 2004   #3
ray

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What about Amphibians in Captivity by Marc Staniszewski? That is the only other book I'm considering.

Last edited by Otterwoman; 25th April 2008 at 12:08.
Old 19th March 2004   #4
Mike East
(mike)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes Ray, I have his book in my Library, unfortunately I tend relate to TFH publications as good "picture books", which is unfair I think in this case, as it contains sound information.

Old 19th March 2004   #5
ray

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for all the info. Someone really needs to sit down and write a good book about newts, especially European newts. It would not have to be a huge volume: maybe something like Chris Mattison's, <u>Keeping and Breeding Lizards</u>.

Old 19th March 2004   #6
Simon
(simon)

Nationality:
Rep: simon has started on the right path

What about Chris Mattison`s"Keeping and breeding Amphibians".That is definetly one of the good books on amphibians I think

simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2004   #7
ray

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I was considering getting that book as well. It's less expensive than Staniszewski' book. I enjoyed Mattison's "Keeping and Breeding Lizards" and I still think it's one of the the best general lizard book around. I'd imagine his amphibian book would be good too (I may just have to hunt down a copy and see for myself).

Old 20th March 2004   #8
Mike East
(mike)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I have a copy of this book. (In fact every herpetological book that Chris has written!) It was first published in 1993, and I don't believe it has been revised. For this reason only, it isn't "cutting edge".

Old 20th March 2004   #9
ray

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What's it worth in terms of Triturus care?

(Message edited by triturus on March 20, 2004)

Tags
literature, source, triturus

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 13 (Set)

anothernewtfan, BILLY JAMES, blckkeys, caleb, Damian2, End, Jensino, Ken Worthington, KrisztianNemeth, Otterwoman, Reptiloso, sims