Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ouachita Mountains, USA - Nov 08

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Nate Nelson, his friend Scott, and I went on a camping trip to the Ouachita Mountains in Oklahoma and Arkansas 10 days ago. It was my first true camping trip and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the company. We saw quite a few species of amphibian and reptile, and I must give many thanks to Nate and Scott because they were the ones who found 99% of what we saw. I certainly learned a lot about field herping in the process. So here is what we saw.

In our campground we found this Dwarf American Toad (Bufo americanus charlesmithi) who called like a fiend. I nearly stepped on him while I was paying my campsite fees but Nate saved him. I'm a sucker for toads and I was very tempted to take him home with me.

file.php

We also found this leopard frog:

file.php

On the first day we travelled to the Caddo Mountains in Arkansas and in a small forest pond the guys came up with about 3 species of Ranid tadpoles and these Central Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens louisanensis):

file.php

file.php

Not long after that we found a stream which yielded several species of salamander:

Plethodon albagula, Western Slimy Salamander:

file.php

Eurycea multiplicata, Many-Ribbed Salamander:

file.php

Desmognathus brimleyorum, Ouachita Dusky Salamander:

file.php

And Nate found several Desmognathus brimleyorum larvae:

file.php

That night we travelled to a damp Rich Mountain in Arkansas and found all of the target species (and more):

Plethodon ouachitae, Rich Mountain Salamander, Rich Mountain Phase:

file.php

Plethodon serratus, Southern Redback:

file.php

Eagle-eyed Scott spotted this Gray Treefrog on a rock on top of the mountain:

file.php

After we retired for the night it rained quite heavily and the temperature dropped quite a bit. The next morning as we were about to leave Rich Mountain to check out some woodland in Oklahoma, we found a Three Toed Box Turtle crossing the highway (sorry no photo from me). We then drove to southeastern Oklahoma to visit a pond we knew to contain Sirens. Just as we were about to give up on Sirens, Nate netted this guy (who now lives with me thanks to my OK fishing license):

Siren intermedia nettingi, Lesser Siren:

file.php

We then drove into the nearby woods. While the guys dove into the trees I spotted this fellow and took a few photos:

Northern? Cricket Frog, Acris crepitans:

file.php

The guys found a Sequoyah Slimy Salamander, Plethodon sequyoah:

file.php

And a bunch of Spotted Salamanders, Ambystoma maculatum:

file.php

And some beautiful Marbled Salamanders, Ambystoma opacum:

file.php

They even found a terrestrial Central Newt, Notophthalmus viridescens louisanensis:

file.php

As we were leaving these woods we passed some swampland and this Water Moccasin / Cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus, crossing the road:

file.php

In a slightly different part of the same forest we found a stunning Pickerel Frog, Rana palustris (sadly I didn't get to photograph it).

As the light faded we drove north towards Winding Stair Mountain. Before we got there we tried to find Kiamichi Slimy Salamanders and Ambystoma annulatum but we only came up with more Plethodon serratus.

Later that evening we reached Winding Stair Mountain, which yielded more Redbacks and these:

Plethodon ouachitae, Winding Stair Phase:

file.php

Eurycea multiplicata, Many-Ribbed Salamander (Nate informs me that this is a yet to be split species/subpecies, and to my eye it is very different to the animal we found in the Caddo Mountains):

file.php

So that was the end of the trip for me because I had to drive to Kansas City for that weekend. Nate and Scott herped their way home and found Ambystoma annulatum, as well as Ozark Zigzags and Grotto Salamanders. Hopefully they can add photos to this thread.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks to Nate and Scott for having me along.

-John

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
Re: Ouachita Mountains, Nov 08

That second E.multiplicata is beautiful! It looks like it was a good time. Thanks for sharing, John.

nate

Reaction score

That's an exceptional cricket frog photo, John. I'll add that I don't think either Scott nor myself were taking anymore photos from that point on, so I don't think there's anything to add really. I'll go through my shots this evening and see what jumps out.

The Ouachitas never disappoint!

juraj

Reaction score

Nice watching for those who stay stuck at home. New photo equipment ?

lchakan

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

Great photos John! Thanks for sharing. Looks like some winners for next year's calendar competition.

Ciddian

Reaction score

a wonderful collection of photos.. <3 The cricket frog and marbled are by far my favorite.

Nathan050793

Reaction score

Ugh. I'm so Jealous! Great photos- I loved seeing the variation in those maculatum.

T

tylototriton

Great post John. Looks like fun.

chensel

Reaction score

Amazing photos. Thanks so much for posting them. I know where my next backpacking trip will be:)

Christina

kira

Reaction score

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I'm so jealous, in Australia we don't get to see anything like that in their natural environment!!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I like the comparison of the N. v. louisanensis that were found in a pond versus dry land. The skin texture is quite different, and it shows that the adults are quite adaptable to living in water or on land.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. To Juraj - I've replaced my D80 with a D90 but quite honestly the image quality is almost the same (the 2 megapixel difference is almost imperceivable). Had I known this before selling my D80, I would have kept it. The D90 gives two main advances over the D80: active d-lighting and live view (active d-lighting can be helpful for photographs of dark subjects on bright backgrounds, and live view allows composition without looking through the viewfinder). Frankly though, since I have been shooting exclusively in RAW since 2004, the image quality appears nearly identical to me.

On the subject of the Ouachitas, I fully intend returning at least once in the Spring.

Addendum for Leonard: I took nearly 400 photos over those 2 days so there are plenty of possible Calendar entries ;). However I am certain the competition will be tough next year, going on the improvement in entry quality we saw this year.

onetwentysix

Reaction score

Very nice, John, looks like you had a good time! Great shot of the siren, I can't get enough of those guys. That multiplicata is really cool looking, too. Eurycea are such a cool group. Hopefully you'll find even more in the Spring!

mikebenard

Reaction score

Great post, great photos! I especially liked the shot of the Desmognathus brimleyorum larva because of how it clearly shows the small gills.

Mike

nate

Reaction score

The Eurycea "multiplicata" found in the Ouachitas are split into two well defined groups from east to west, so the first E. multiplicata shot from the Caddo Mtns. in AR is due to be described as new species and the second animal from Winding Stair in OK will most likely remain E. multiplicata.

Returning to the Ouachitas: I'll be there again in early spring...probably the first week of April. :cool:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

My eyes....my beautiful eyeeeees...!!! xD Brilliant as always.
I particularly liked the louisianensis too, you rarely see those guys, and the comparison between land/water phase was nice.
Thanx for a great post, really apreciated :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

A nice haul, fellas. I'm green with envy!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score

Looks like you guys had a whale of a time.:D Seeing your post makes me want to travel out west for a week.

Later,
Justin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1