Dumb question....

M

mary

i have been doing some reading but still confused!! how do you know when the male axie has fertilized the eggs? what if he doesn't want to- do females ever lay eggs without a male present ( tho' i am sure one of ours is def a male)

From what I can gather, the male just lays his little sperm packets on the ground which could have been the little jelly globs u were talking about in your other post. The female walks over these and somehow draws them inside her. Then she lays fertilised eggs. Not sure wat ne of it is supposed to look like as the only info I have on the subject is from reading posts on here and a small book on unsual pets from a store. Hope it helps tho.

anna is right. the male will lay sperm(little white cones of jelly stuff) then walk in front of the female while waving his tail vigoriously to draw her to the sperm then she picks them up and after about 24 hours lays the eggs on everything. eggs are clear on the outside with half white and half black on the inside.

oh my goodness- that little tramp!! that explains the leftover jelly things yesterday... i thought they were still babies themselves- thought i had at least til next jan before adulthood expected let alone babes!
'fraid to say i have been removing most of the eggs as they have appeared. have left in about 12 so far...not sure what to do yet!

Eggs are not always half black/half white. If you have albinos, they'll be all white. Watch for development. It starts almost immediately, and you should see changes within a day or two.

If you don't want to raise the babies, leave 'em in the tank and mom and dad will eat them.

my word the things that go on in that tank whil we sleep.....

My female and male have been separated for almost one week now, but this morning my girl released 3 eggs. I am positive they are eggs. There is no chance they are fertilised is there?

They could be. There have been reports of female fire salamanders retaining sperm for years.

ok. thank you very much. The just a couple of other things though. She lays the eggs maybe 2-3 a day, each morning or over night (it has happened 2 days in a row now). Is this normal? Also I did not actually sight any spermatophores in the tank when they were together, but it is still possible there was, right?
Last thing: She also has not been eating a lot since being separated. Could this be because she is laying or trauma or anything else?

Alex (the mum) took two days too. I suppose they take a little break from all of that egg laying.
The sperm packet looked like a mushroom cloud from a Nuke explosion. It looks wierd, I expected it to look like poop but it looks like a fluffy mushroom cloud.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back