I think my axie is constipated

kassie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, how long should I keep her in a salt bath, her belly is swollen she wont eat and she will not come out her cave when called, she could be constipated or pregnant she hasn't eaten for one week.

How much do you feed? How often? How warm is the tank? What kind of substrate do you have?

Axolotls don't have ears, and therefore won't 'come when called'.

No substrate .........2 worms a day until 1week ago............temp is a worry here but manage to keep it to about 23c I have two ponds together she is in the small one with 300 Litres circulating, I dont think the water is cool enough for her to be pregnant, I have picked her up twice to inspect her bottom she didn't like it and bit me , about me calling her well she knows when I go to her pond she always comes right up to me and as I always call her name I assumed she could hear me, the girl in pet shop says I should'nt pick her up to often as I will damage the wax film on her skin ...is this correct

yes thats right. Axolotls have a slime coat which protects their skin. If you handle it too often you will damage it and her skin can develop sores and infection.
I never handle mine, but if you do make sure you have wet hands.

What kind of worms? With the temp that high, I'm inclined to think she's stressed.

They can become gravid regardless of temperature.

It's 9am and the air temp is 22c I've just been round to see her and check her temp it is 20c she popped her head out then backed off, if she is pregnant would she stop eating for awhile......she feeds on garden worms taken from a non fertilised area and not near any that has been treated they are well washed, I've had her since last August and it has been a battle keeping the temp down I will be glad when winter comes.

Don't think you should salt bath her unless she's got fungus. Probably putting her in the fridge (above 5 degrees celsius) would be wise especially as you've got temperature issues (haven't we all!) and giving her a spell in there can't hurt if she's stressed or unwell. Mine has just gone back into his tank after 3 weeks in the fridge because it's been too hot here. Adult axies only need to eat 2-3 times a week, but probably a bit more than that in warmer temperatures ie above 20 degrees, so she may not be hungry or may not be eating because she's too warm. Is she thin? Earthworms are very good food. Will stop here, as I'm a relative beginner, and if any of the above is wrong, please someone point it out.

If she is in an out door pond it is likely that she is finding something to eat...from various insects, larvae to snails and so on. My female axolotl's waste tends to be a little larger than the males...but in general she rather likes her food...what do you have in your pond with your axolotl?

my boy who i thought was a girl just today decided to drop his load of gravel... came out easy enough, it just took some prawns to do it...

and for salt baths be careful if you do use them.... I gave my youngest axie a salt bath today at recommended dosage as he has a spot of fungus... ( I swore I would never salt bath again, but i did and now regret it.)

he is now in a quarrantine tank and I will be very surprised if he survives the night... and before anyone asks.. all params were at 0 with nitrate at 10 and temp very constant 20, i put him into 1ltre water with 1 teaspoon of fresh sea salt fresh from the blow holes at canarvon for 10 minutes. i put him back into main tank and he gulped continuously.. put him into container he kept doing it, so he migrated to our cycled quarantine tank and since has not moved and when prompted is very ughhh.
params of cycled tank are 19deg 0 all params and nitrate again 10 with 1 plant for nitrate uses.
he was happy and healthy till the salt bath....

sorry for blabbing on... im a wee bit concerned

No I wont give her a salt bath, managed to feed her a worm yesterday, she is out doors temp steady on 20c she popped out her cave to see me this morning, she has nothing in her pond only a plant and her cave, her bottom is a bulby shape, she's not stressed....... I am .........hope your boy is okay Casaloxl

Casaloxl, if your axie is 'happy and healthy' why did you give it a salt bath?? Salt baths are not recommended for healthy axolotls :\

Kassie, salt baths are fine to use despite Casaloxl's experience but they are used to treat fungus, etc not 'happy and healthy' axolotls. I don't think you need to do it for constipation... Lisa's idea is a good one if you are concerned, pop her in the fridge for a bit as that will help constipation. If she is eating though, that is a good sign. Generally food refusal is one major sign of stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back