Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Guppies Good live food for axolotls?

mega

Reaction score
I was curious if guppies are the best live food for axolotls besides earthworms?

are there are fish that can easily be breed to feed axolotls?

Thanks,

Ash

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are ok, but they are not as good as earthworms.
The thing is, axolotls are not specialized fish-eaters, if they ever include any on their diet i´m sure it´s carrion or impared individuals. They can´t digest vertebrate meat very efficiently, and it´s too high in calories so it should only be offered sparangly. Feeder fish obviously need to be quarantined in order to avoid introducing patogens.

Guppies, danios, white-cloud minnows, Gambusia...are all easily bred and adequate in moderation for a healthy diet.

DavidF

Reaction score
I have had 4 minnows and 1 guppy in the tank with 2 axies for a month or so now. My axies can't get catch them so they aren't good as food for my guys. Mind you, they got other minnows and guppies so maybe these are just the more skilled ones improving the gene pool. Maybe you axies will be more adept at catching them.

I'm having a go at breeding red cherry shrimp to use as treats. So far so good as they breed easily and I'm a complete novice. Those shrimp that avoid being eaten can help clean the algae off the plants. So far, I've put a few shrimp in as testers but they didn't last the night.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I have some Glass Shrimp in my tank... but it's heavily planted. There are about 14 out of the original 48 that were smart enough to survive. They stay just out of reach. Very adept at it and clever little fellows.
I also put in 12 guppies once. It took them about a week to get them all.
My guys sit on the plants and wait until something swims by. They miss a lot..... but not all of the time.
I put that stuff in there as a diversion since they are ALWAYS looking for food. You can't depend on them getting enough to survive however and as Azhael pointed out... they are kind of like fast Food. OK sometimes.

mega

Reaction score
Thanks. So long as i continually feed them earthworms, a few guppies in the tank are not a bad idea.

:) Kinda like chocolate cake once in a while.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Just make sure to quarantine them for a month before introducing them to your axolotls, and introduce only a small number. After all fish waste is pure ammonia, so you want a small number and a properly cycled tank.

jclee

Reaction score
As others have said, they move quickly and breed... a lot. I quarantined and treated some feeder guppies, popped 5 in. The axolotls ate three in 24 hours. That was 2 months ago. Since then, the female has had two batches of fry, none of which are dying or getting munched on. I am rapidly worrying that I'll have to start managing population control, myself, since the axolotls aren't doing it for me.

I've also been breeding cherry shrimp, like David F., but I haven't gotten around to popping a few adults in the axolotl tank, yet, so I can't share experiences on that front. I will say that RCS are insanely easy to breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!