Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sanitize tank and other questions?

USMCOORAH

Reaction score
I used a 10 gallon tank for a leopard gecko. Can I sanitize this tank for Axolotls? I read somewhere that you can reuse a tank for fish by bleaching it and rinsing it well past the point you cant spell the bleach and setting it out in the sun. Can I do the same for a axolotls tank? I was thinking I could but want to make sure. I want to set my tank up before I finally get my Axolotls. I'm gonna put two in the tank. Is that ok for the size of tank? If I treat the water for chlorine/ammonia(have done this for the bata and goldfish tanks I have) will I have to do anything else for my axolotls? I thought about an undergravel filter like for fish tanks to use with my axolotls since they are sensitive to water flow. Would that work or would I need another filter? Tank set up, I know that regular gravel is too small to use safely in axolotls tanks so is there a special gravel that you guys use in your tanks? I know axolotls will uproot plants, so would fake plants suction cupped to the back glass be a suitable solution? I'm not sure if they need hides or not. Do they? I thought if I have the back glass with fake plants that could be a hide if need be. Or would it just be a waste of time? I would love a couple glow in the dark axolotls so would a black light be suitable for them? I know light changes can freak them out but would black light be as bad? As you can tell, I'm a newbie with this. I want my tank to look good but not be a pain in the next to change the water.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a great section on disinfection, sterilization and cleaning in our quarantine and disinfection article.

There's stacks of information on axolotl.org which will answer most, if not all, of your questions regarding filters, housing, decor and space requirements.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!