Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Golden Mantella (M.aurantiaca)

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Even though this is a Caudata forum I thought the Madagascan Anura section needed a bit of a more recent thread as the last one was over a year and a half ago!

Anyway, these are my Golden Mantella (Mantella Aurantiaca) pair which are my breeders. I have had them for near on 2 years now and researched them heavily for 5 to 6 years before I even considered buying them! They are one of the boldest species I have ever kept and compared to other species of in the Mantella genus and the Dendrobatidae family, these aren't as shy as people have been lead to believe.

Bit of information about the species: The species is from the the Island of Madagascar and has a very restricted and fragmented distribution range. They are currently located in the central part of Torotorofotsy Marshlands and the Andromena forest located on the Samarirana Rover, there are other populations scattered around the Northern and Southern parts of Mora-manga. They are one of the rarer and more endangered species of the Tylototriton genus being evaluated as "Critically Endangered" by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in 2004, however this species is widely and heavily bred in captivity.

Here are both of them (quite an old picture but one of my faves) © :
tylototritonguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture23438-my-mantella-pair.jpg

Here is a close up of my Female © :
tylototritonguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture26033-golden-mantella-m-aurantiaca-female-these-my-own-photographs-please-do-not-use-without-my-permission.jpg

Here is a close up of my Male © :
tylototritonguy-albums-golden-mantella-mantella-aurantiaca-picture26034-golden-mantella-m-aurantiaca-male-these-my-own-photographs-please-do-not-use-without-my-permission.jpg

These are probably one of my favorite species of Amphibians. I have always been drawn to species from the Dendrobatidae family and the Mantella genus because not only because of their use of Aposematism, but also because I find them fascinating to watch :)

Anyway thank you for reading my thread!!

Tyloguy

P.S Please do not use my photos without permission, as one or two people have tried passing off photos as their own.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!