Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Unhealthy night crawler?

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I get worms from outside my house for my newts, nice healthy night crawlers and earthworms. But recently it has been very cold, even in the spots where there are usually a lot of worms there are none. So I decided to dig in the muddiest spot that I could find in hopes that there would be some there. It has been below 20 degrees Fahrenheit when I get up the last few mornings if that helps explain how cold it is. So anyway I was digging and found a nice enough earthworm and then a huge night crawler. That was it. But the night crawler doesn't look good. It is mangled, pale-ish, and not moving much. So could this be a unhealthy worm? Would he be safe to feed to my newts? I don't want to risk it so I am going to get some from the store, but for future reference, do you think he is safe to feed?
Thanks! -Seth

otolith

Reaction score
Could to be moving much due to the temperature, maybe has some frost damage. If I found a bunch of worms I would not feed any iffy ones to my animals, but in a pinch it would probably be fine. I feed a lot of garden worms to my animals as well and have not had any problems.

sde

Reaction score
Thank you otolith! I think i wont feed it, id hate to harm my newts. ill look again for some worms tomorrow. Thanks again! -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!