Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl tank

Afink

Reaction score
I was hoping to get someone with axolotl experience to approve my tank set up. I have a 20 gallon with super fine grain sand and a filter with the ability to change the flow. I will have a small bubbler in the corner so it won't move the water too much and I will add a small fan because my water temp is sitting at about 69 and I know they prefer 66 at highest. It has been an established tank for about 6 months with continuous cycling. I would love some thoughts on things im doing right and wrong. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180506_140304638_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180506_140304638_LL.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 154

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I think it looks really cute so far! although I would throw in a couple terracotta pots. They love hiding/playing/climbing them.

31301720_10157466341470200_6153485592020694268_n.jpg

Dont be afraid to think outside the box for decor :)

Afink

Reaction score
I was thinking about adding one of those pots. Thank you for the response. ?. I'm so excited to get my axolotl!

tinasvfx

Reaction score
hehehe i had her in a 10, until I stumbled across an entire 40g setup in a thrift store. She got very spoiled that day. ;) The big leaf is from Dollarama, and the driftwood is local lakes.

They are definitely entertaining creatures. My niece just loves standing at my tank and babbling to her. :D

Afink

Reaction score
She is absolutely adorable. ❤️. I upgraded my fish tanks and had an extra 20 gallon that I didn't want to get rid of. So it worked perfectly to setup for a dream pet. I am planning on going to a reptile expo in a couple weeks and pick out my new family member. I have a feeling I'm going to sit in front of my tank for hours. I already do with my other tanks.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Heheh. Bops big tank is right by my bed, so i get to watch her play around all night. ;) I had to move her bubbler because she kept waking me up, tapping it on the side of the tank! :rofl:

The reptile section is actually a great place to look for axie stuff. A lot of the caves/hides are made a bit bigger.

Afink

Reaction score
I love having a pet by the bed! I have a larger tank in my room with Bam Bam (my angel fish). I literally disappear because I just sit in front of my tank and watch everyone. I already know I'm gonna he worse with my axie. ?. I talk about it non stop and do constant research. I am looking for the perfect caves for it now. Do u think there is a personality difference between males and females axies? I know in some species of animals the males are more friendly and females are more independent.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I love having a pet by the bed! I have a larger tank in my room with Bam Bam (my angel fish). I literally disappear because I just sit in front of my tank and watch everyone. I already know I'm gonna he worse with my axie. ?. I talk about it non stop and do constant research. I am looking for the perfect caves for it now. Do u think there is a personality difference between males and females axies? I know in some species of animals the males are more friendly and females are more independent.

I've honestly never had a male axie yet, Bop is definitely my first, but like you, I've done a lotttttt of research, and this site is like my bible! I do know the male axies apparently tend to get beat-up looking after mating season, but that's about it, at least my friends does anyway. I would love to get a second axie friend for Bop, but it would have to be female. I don't have the time to breed! lol

I was at work the other night and a guy walked into my shop wearing an Axolotl tshirt. I totally nerded out and it turns out he has 4.

The obsession is real.

Afink

Reaction score
Hahaha. I totally would love to have more than one. But as a beginner I am starting with one. I'm sure my obsession will get worse. I think I'm just gonna see what one I fall in love with at the reptile expo at the end of the month. I have two lists going with male and female names. Lol. I also geek out when ppl show interest in axies or fish. Hahaha.

Afink

Reaction score
Got my 2 new family members. Pachu is the wild one and the leucistic is Suki. ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_120942492.jpg
    IMG_20180526_120942492.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20180526_120928365.jpg
    IMG_20180526_120928365.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 90
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1