Rate My Setup (please)

ClockworkCan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to the axolotl world and I'm cycling my tank before I get one. I have a 20 gallon, a sturdy homemade stand, and it's away from any windows/lights. I have sand in the bottom and a corner/sponge filter in the back. Does it look axolotl ready?

Attachments

• IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 146
Looks good!
What brand of sand is it? I've heard about issues with certain kinds of black sand, I'm not sure exactly which ones.
Check the shell if it has any sharp bits, and is it real? Not sure if real shells will leech anything into the water. And if those are pebbles/rocks in the shell take them out because your axie will eat them :)
You can have lights (especially needed for cleaning/feeding) but I would add a hide, even just a ceramic pot on it's side works perfect.
Maybe lower the water a bit if it doesn't have a lid, axies can jump out.

Thanks for the feedback!
The sand is Imagitarium Aquarium Sand.
The shell is real (and all rounded corners) but it has been used in previous tanks and been boiled for sanitation.
And I do have a mesh lid on top. It just matches the tanks trim very well.

Looks gorgeous I'd love to see an axoloyl explore it! Only thing is, how large is your axolotl? I had that same brand black sand with a 5 inch juvenile and had to remove it after incidental swallowing caused impaction. It probably would be fine with a larger axolotl and I think other people have used it without issue but its something to consider. Having a bowl or piece of tile that you feed your axi over/on would probably also help negate some of the risk of that as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back