Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Soichiro

L

lauren

I finally have a digital camera! So here is my axolotl Soichiro. It's about 7" long and about 5-6 months old. I don't know the gender yet.

28090.jpg

28091.jpg

28092.jpg

28093.jpg

28094.jpg

It lives alone in a 10 gallon tank. The substrate is large river rocks over an underground filter. I also have a corner box filter in there. Soichiro only likes floating trout pellets and refuses everything from waxworms (They are spit out) to sinking salmon pellets.

---<font color="ff0000">I edited the photos in a vertical fashion to make them easier to view</font>---<font color="ff0000">Mike G.</font>

(Message edited by mike_g on December 23, 2004)

M

mercedes

It is so cute looking!!! My Axolotl is completely the opposite; it loves waxworms, bloodworms, etc... and not the pellets.

C

cynthia

Soichiro is very cute
happy.gif

I have never heard of an axolotl who prefers floating food. Do you hold it down by its face or is it "hunting" (insert jaws theme here) the floating pellets from the surface?

L

lauren

Cynthia - It does both actually. Sometimes I feed it by hand, and other times its head pops straight up and it climbs its way to the surface. It depends how much time I want to give over.
happy.gif

J

j0hn_4ll4n@hotmail.com

CUte looking..but kinda looks like it has water stress...i wouldnt know much about it though, someone else might want to give advice.

K

kim

Lauren,

is there any current or rappied moving water in the tank. When a axies gills are so far forwards as yours i would be worried that there is quite a bit

C

cynthia

It's gills point forward no matter which way it is facing though. It could be el natural.

L

lauren

That's true Cynthia, Its gills even pointed forward in a holding tank without any flow, and they were at the same angle before I put in the underground filter and when I had a smaller box filter.

It's never had any diseases, and he's been in the filtered tank about 2 months. Before that it was in an unfiltered container. He also eats voraciously.

If it is stressed though, when can be done to remedy this? The box filter ejects water straight up already and the underground filter ejects near the surface. I have plastic plants floating up there that break up the bubbles.

M

mik

You won't get high velocities with undergravel filter. They lifting tube is clearly visible in the photos.

If the water is discharging at high rate at top of the lifting tube just drop the water level to about 5-10mm below the discharge it will still work effectively. Or drop down your air pump speed. Often they have two settings, hi & lo.

From what I can see his gills are nice and big, bright red. No veiny patterns on his body. In my opinion he looks just fine.

Unless you think there is anything wrong and you want to mention it I can't see anything to be worried about...

PS..he's still a cute leucy!

K

kim

Yeah, i just want to say that they are a bit pushed forward as such, just wanted to make sure all is ok!! :p

And yes it is almost as cute as mine
biggrin.gif

L

lauren

Thanks Kim, Mik, Cynthia, Mercedes, and John!

This site has been a great help in raising Soichiro, so I thought I'd show off the results.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!