Question: I can't afford a chiller, so how do I cool down my tank?

xasdfcore

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tess
I'm going to need something for year-round use. My room is the coldest room in the house, it's only 30*F outside, my axie's tank is right next to the freezing window with the blinds down, and the tank water is still 75*F. I don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the incandescent lighting, but the light has only been on for 5 hours. I just bought it and cannot afford a fluoresecnt one. I've been floating cold water bottles in the tank and I also dropped in a couple ice cubes. but I'm not sure if this is helping.

I've been told to open the window slightly to help cool down the water, but then I wouldn't be able to stand being in my own room. Plus I have other animals who would not benefit from the freezing weather. Not to mention, my grandmother would kill me for opening the window. Since I can't afford a chiller, and I don't have the space or resources for a DIY chiller, I don't know what to do. I'm just really worried because if the tank is 75* in winter, it's gonna be like 80*-85* when summer comes. And in the summer, even with air conditioning, my room is still hot.

My aunt just bought me this axie for my 18th birthday. He was $50, and I'm just going to feel absolutely horrible if he gets sick or dies. I've already spent a ton of money on him myself with the new tank, new hood/light, substrate, 2 filters, decor, etc. I just don't know what to do. I have work every day and school 5 days a week, so I can't be home all the time to monitor the temperature of the tank. I was just thinking, however, what if I took out one light bulb from the hood so that only one stayed on? Do you think that would make a difference? Is there any other kind of incandescent lamp I could buy that maybe won't produce so much heat? I know this won't help once summer comes, but for the time being I just want to get the water temp below 75*.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. If you can come up with a way for me to keep the water at a decent temp year-round that's cost-efficient (no more than $100) I'd be really grateful.

I use a fan (like from Target about $20). I keep it on high all the time (well in the summer) and it keeps the water temperature down significantly. I have it about a foot or two away from the top of the tank so it can blow over the whole tanks surface. Do you have a screen lid? This also cools the water significantly and you need it for the fan to work.

Coolers seem like the best way to go, even if they are expensive. And if you can't open your window for your axie, maybe moving it to the basement? Or a cooler room, where you can open the window?

75F is like the absolute limit. It should really be below 72F! Hotter temperatures cause damage to the axolotls skin and gills.

Good luck, hopefully someone else knows what to do if this isn't helpful.

I have a fan, but my grandmother won't let me bring it into the house. Don't ask why, she says it belongs in the garage. I had it in my room for a while this past summer because it was so hot, and she got mad about it and took back outside. I have a screen lid, but if I used that I wouldn't be able to place my filters on the back of the tank. I don't have a basement, and my room (which is where the axie is) is the coldest room.

I've thought about moving him outside to the garage, but there's really no room. It would also be extremely stressful. Not to mention I'd have to move him back inside once summer comes anyways.

Just checked the temp again. It's now approaching 76. The light is off, and the water feels cooler when I touch it, so this confuses me. I'm really worried about him =[

I had good luck with my converted water cooler (#7 on the list). It was fairly inexpensive (especially if you can get a used water cooler), reduced the temp quite well, and increases the water volume for more stability.

Aquarium plants need light but axolotls don't. Start by leaving the light off. My two fluorescent lights under a hood raise temperatures by about 3 degrees F. Incandescent lights will be even worse.

Fans can help. It might be a couple of degrees cooler if you put the tank on the floor (assuming you do not have underfloor heating).

If you are running right at the top of the axolotls temperature tolerance keeping water conditions good is even more important than when cooler. Keep up regular 20% daily water changes for now if the tank is not fully cycled.

The link on cooling already posted is very good.

I have been floating bags of ice/frozen water bottles in the tank and have managed to get the temp down to 68 :) My axie seems completely unphased by this- he's rummaging around for food atm. I'm gonna try to get an actual chiller before summer comes though. Hoping I can find one someplace for under $500 x__x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back