Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2017 Biology, Management and Conservation of North American Salamanders training course

KevinJ

Reaction score
Amphibian Ark and Zoo Atlanta are pleased to announce the 2017 Biology, Management and Conservation of North American Salamanders training course.
The course will consist of five days of intensive training, including lectures, hands-on practical exercises, and fieldwork, with the goal of providing the students with technical skills necessary for long-term management of ex situ assurance populations of salamanders, from species selection to reintroductions with focus on husbandry, health, biosecurity and population management.
 Topics covered during the course will include: salamander biology, conservation and management; enclosure design and construction; captive breeding techniques; biosecurity and disease control; monitoring and surveys of wild and captive populations; education and scientific engagement. A field trip is arranged at Wharton Center, GA, USA.

The course is designed to encourage the participation and sharing of knowledge and expertise among instructors and students, providing spaces to do so in a comfortable environment of camaraderie.
The course is designed to encourage the participation and sharing of knowledge and expertise among instructors and students, providing spaces to do so in a comfortable environment of camaraderie.
Target audience: Zookeepers, field biologists, grad students, and academics working in salamander conservation and research, especially in captive settings. The course is limited to 20 students.
Location: The course will be held at Zoo Atlanta and at Wharton Center, Georgia.
Dates: September 18th – 22nd, 2017
Information: For further information please contact Luis Carrillo, Training Officer - luis@amphibianark.org.

LunaticNic

Reaction score
That sounds pretty interesting, especially with it only being 2 hours from where I live :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1