Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl Struggling to Pass Eggs

EllieWind

Reaction score
I understand after doing some research that amphibians cannot become egg-bound and simply re-absorb any unfertilized eggs, but I'm not sure if that's entirely 100% true.

My female axolotl laid about 300 eggs just last month (currently raising a few cute little hatchlings from her clutch), but recently has been "laying" (for lack of a better word) a few more eggs starting just last night. I'm pretty sure these eggs are not fertilized since my male has been kept separate from her and hasn't produced any spermatophores since initially breeding in October; the eggs are also shaped differently than the original fertilized eggs had been and the jelly surrounding them is thicker and "harder". Furthermore, my female has been struggling to pass these eggs and isn't displaying any of the regular laying behavior (attaching them to plants/laying them relatively one by one). In fact, she's seemed a bit distressed and has had clumps of eggs stuck half out of her cloaca to the point where I have had to help remove them from her twice now. She also hasn't really been able to poop properly since her initial clutch. I had noticed some goop hanging from her cloaca right after she laid her eggs a month ago, but figured it was just some extra protein jelly and didn't worry about it, but since then she's only made two very tiny poops (nothing like the size of regular axolotl logs), and has looked to be somewhat constipated, although she is still eating normally. I didn't take any pictures though because I'm stupid and only thought to do it after the fact. :crazy:

Now, this is the very first time she has ever laid eggs, so maybe it has something to do with that, but I'm just a bit concerned for her and would like to know if anyone has ever had something like this happen before.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HOpefully someone will chime in. I don't know what to tell you other than that if she is constipated, try giving her a wax worm dipped in olive oil.

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
I’m sorry that I don’t know much more of what’s going on with your axolotl. For the constipation at least you can fridge her and that will help her pass whatever is in her belly be it poop or something else. As for the eggs maybe the fridge will also help that? I’m really not sure. It won’t hurt anything if you do.

EllieWind

Reaction score
So while I was visiting my family for Thanksgiving my roommate let me know that she pooped normally and made another normal poop just a few days ago, she also doesn't seem to be passing any more eggs and is back to normal. If anyone else has had a similar experience please let me know since it's just such an odd occurrence.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!