Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unsure if fungus, bacteria, or other

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my axolotl developed these white lesions on his body. I started him on Furan and with correct salt baths twice a day in good water. He was not being fridged at the time, but I decided to fridge him with no improvement seen. Water is changed daily with new and chilled furan water.

This issue was caused by a couple of things (I believe)
#1 too high of nitrates for too long. Ammonia, ph, and nitrites were all good. Just the nitrates.
#2 He is an older ish boy around 4-5 years old
#3 (maybe) Bought some new earthworms from the pet store, fed them to all 3 of my axolotls and then found the worms all dead and rotting in my worm farm 2 days after. My one axolotl was all bloated up and I thought he was dying, but then he puked up all the worms he ate and is now fine, the 2nd was fine, and the third (pictured) developed this shortly after. Not sure if it is related but it seems like it might be. They have separate tanks so nobody is sharing this disease.

I thought it may be columnaris, but with no improvement with salt and furan I don't think that is it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? He seems fairly healthy still, eating when he is a little warmer and the disease is not affecting his gills at all. When I look at him closer with a flashlight it almost looks like he is bleeding? Little red dots on his body where the disease is apparent.

Attachments

• Sal 1.jpg
    Sal 1.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Sal 2.jpg
    Sal 2.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Sal 3.jpg
    Sal 3.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 147

NexSocius

Reaction score
They just look like iridisphores have turned white with age....are the ‘lesions’ bumpy or just like regular skin?

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
They just look like iridisphores have turned white with age....are the ‘lesions’ bumpy or just like regular skin?

I don't believe they are iridisphores, it's fluffy-ish like a fungus and some has been coming off or disappearing with salt baths and the fridge.

He is showing some improvement, just very very slow.

Nvoyt123

Reaction score
UPDATE:

It has been a long 6 weeks.

In my axolotls treatment I have gone through about all of the treatments available to clear up the initial issue besides taking him to a vet These have included furan 2, pimafix, melafix, salt baths, tea baths and fridging. Tried to cover my bases since nothing seemed to be working quite right.

I am happy to say that he is recovering quite well so far. He is not 100% yet, but very close. As to what the main disease or issue was, unsure. I believe it may have been fungal at first and then issues with his slime coat later, but I will never know for certain. His skin was extremely sensitive, with many sores (almost looked like blisters) all over his body. The best thing that helped was 100% new, clean water every day, feeding as often and as much as possible with his weak appetite, and time. I definitely believed he was going to die, he was very weak. But, he refused and continued to keep on trying to survive. Hopefully this trend will continue for another 4 years.

Pictures are in various stages of treatments, some are worse and some are better. I will try to put them in chronological order.

Attachments

• sal1.jpg
    sal1.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 114
  • sal2.jpg
    sal2.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 127
  • sal3.jpg
    sal3.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 113
  • sal4.jpg
    sal4.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 113
  • sal5.jpg
    sal5.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 123
  • sal6.jpg
    sal6.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 126
  • sal7.jpg
    sal7.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 132
  • sal8.jpg
    sal8.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 114
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!