Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Krackens under the weather

L

lorie

Moomin's fine but kracken is haveing a few problems. Her gills are quite curled up (moomins arn't) there's no sign of fungus and i watch them regular and there's no sighn of bullying. She's not eating very much tho. Odd because surly if there's something wrong in the tank they'd both be ill:S
P.s. i cheaked the water and the water s fine
happy.gif

kapo

Reaction score
No, there is always one that is slightly weaker that is likely to show it first. Apart from gills any other signs that it might be ill?

What's your tank temperature? Could be temperature related. A lot of the sick axie problems seemed to be heat related.

Maybe if things still look odd, then take a sample of tankwater and get the LFS/petshop to test it for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates to see if it matches/differs from your test.

K

kaysie

My tank has had the exact same setup for years, and I still get the occasional curled gill which goes away after a few days.

But definitely keep an eye on her. Try offering other food types, if you can. Sometimes they just get sick of one food.

L

lorie

Kapo-I tested the water already and all the components are fine. The tank temp 20 degrees.

Kaysie- Yeah moomin used to get curled gills but he still ate.

I'll try cleaning the filter out. Maybe its that. The filter is probably a little stong for little kravcken that could be y shes getting upset. Still...moomin has always been in a tank with a resonably strong filter...i dunno i guess i got a fussy one:p

kapo

Reaction score
Lorie, I did realise you'd tested your tankwater, but what I meant was to take a sample to the petshop for for them to test as a comparison to yours. If the filter is strong, that may be it - Can you not turn it down or place/tie something around/near the outlet so the flow is broken/dispersed a bit more?

L

lorie

yeah i slowed it down and i tested to water at the shop...its the same
happy.gif
i think krackens just being rubbish. She'll probably behave in a few days ifnot to the vet she will go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1