Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Black tea bath

SimoneB

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'd like to know a little more about tea baths.
I found a great variety of controversial information on the internet. Some guides tell you to put the axie in tea water for 10 to 15 minutes, others assure it's totally ok to just pour brewed tea in the tank (1 bag every 10 liters). The question is: since my ax is showing some early signs of fungal infection in it's eyes, is it ok to add black tea to the tank? And if yes, how much?
At the moment the ax is in a temporary 20 lt bucket and if i'll pour 2 brewed bags of black tea in it the water will turn very dark, it's kinda concerning and i wanna really know if this is a good thing to do or it could harm the animal in some way.
Thanks a lot(l) to everyone

Hayleyy

Reaction score
From what I've heard the 1 tea bag per 10 litres is correct. It will make the water quite dark but that is fine as far as I know, if doing it in your main tank weekly water changes will eventually remove the colour. You will probably find it easier to do this in the bucket you have, but you will have the change 100% of the water every day as there will be no filter.
An alternative is to do 3 salt baths a day, or 10-15 mins each time. I've found it works a lot faster on fungus than tea.

SimoneB

Reaction score
thanks a lot, i have been refrigerating and salt bathing my ax for more than a week. since the fungal infection has regressed a lot (every sign had disappeared except for a slight white film on its eyes) i decided to stop with this treatement since it's pretty stressing for the animal opting for a more constant and mild therapy. hope it heals fast :)

JenFit

Reaction score
From what I've heard the 1 tea bag per 10 litres is correct. It will make the water quite dark but that is fine as far as I know, if doing it in your main tank weekly water changes will eventually remove the colour. You will probably find it easier to do this in the bucket you have, but you will have the change 100% of the water every day as there will be no filter.
An alternative is to do 3 salt baths a day, or 10-15 mins each time. I've found it works a lot faster on fungus than tea.

I am new to posting here so I hope it is appropriate for me to piggy back on this thread to inquire as to what other conditions, or in what other situations would using tea potentially be beneficial?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I am new to posting here so I hope it is appropriate for me to piggy back on this thread to inquire as to what other conditions, or in what other situations would using tea potentially be beneficial?

Tea helps with minor fungus and skin/slime coat issues :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!