Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Are Axolotls eyes sight as bad as they say?

Lady Kiri

Reaction score
It's in the title but I'm curious about peoples experiences.
My axolotl follows me around in his tank as I move about the room doing various chores and what not. If I approach he'll "beg" for food by standing on his back legs and looking at the sky waiting for a tasty morsel to drop from the heavens. If I move away, He'll move with me (slowly of course) and try again if I'm still close enough to potentially drop something in for him. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day either.
Now obviously he can see me and knows I mean food. My question more relates to how he treats others. He ignores them. My bf can approach his tank and he'll just sit there and stare out into space, won't beg, wont follow him. Same with other guests to the house. He won't follow or beg them. Some guests he's even actively swam away and hidden from. My grandfather being the main one he seems to be frightened of.
I'm curious to know if this means he has some sort of facial recognition or maybe a body shape recognition. I'm unsure how their eyes work and have found very limited articles about it. Most simply just state that their eyes sight is 'poor'. But how poor?
Has any one got or had an experience like this with their axolotls? Does anyone have any information about their eyesight they can share?

Krispy

Reaction score
My axolotls follow my boyfriend and I around as you have described. When we have guest over, not so much. I don't know a lot of details about eyesight, but I think I've seen it mentioned a few times that they DO recognize faces. I have interpreted their poor eyesight as more of a "light sensitive" issue than seeing clearly.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I do get the same experience as you, with almost all of my axolotls. My only exception was my albino Dany, I'm not sure if her being albino why she wasn't as responsive as I know they are more sensitive to light. I have read some people say they may be reacting to vibrations, which is absolutely possible. The minor vision that they do have may be enough to distinguish between bodies, maybe faces if you're close enough, explaining why they behave differently. One of my juveniles, Carol, seems to recognise when I have my camera out because she gets more excited than when I don't have the camera lol. I would love to see some studies looking into this!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1