Question: New Axolotl owner question

HesNotAFish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings. Our new family member is an axolotl named Cabbage. I am confused as to how much I should be feeding the cute little guy. He is about 3 inches long. I've been feeding him Hikari Tropical sinking carnivore pellets that I got from the store. The sales person there said to feed him one a day (I think). He was eating one a day for a week or two, and I read somewhere that you should feed them until they are full. Then I switched to two pellets a day. Yesterday he was acting like he couldn't move his legs and was very still. He had a large poop later, and he's pretty active tonight.

Can someone please confirm how much he should eat? I will incorporate some worms into his diet, but for now I just want to make sure I'm not underfeeding or overfeeding him.

cache.php

album.php

It varies between individuals but you want to feed until they stop accepting food. My 3 inch juvenile will eat a pea sized clump of live blackworms twice a day.
I would suggest not using superworms as the exoskeleton can't be digested by axolotls. Try and find some earthworms, especially nightcrawlers.

Seeing if the pictures show up this way:

Attachments

• 20190403_175339.jpg
    20190403_175339.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 20190403_175327.jpg
    20190403_175327.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 330
What a lovely little axolotl! I suggest taking out the sand until it is 5 inches long as juveniles can get impacted on sand, even if you hand feed/dish feed. They are fine on barebottom, which is what I have at the moment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back