Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spawn colour

Neptune

Reaction score
Just a quick question. If a gold and a wild type breed, and the spawn is all black/grey, does that mean there won't be any gold offspring? I'm aware the wild type would be pretty dominant and there'd be a good chance of no golds appearing.

Oh, this is just a hypothetical question by the way. I'm not actually breeding anything (how could I? I have to males!). :happy:

elim

Reaction score
Just a quick question. If a gold and a wild type breed, and the spawn is all black/grey, does that mean there won't be any gold offspring? I'm aware the wild type would be pretty dominant and there'd be a good chance of no golds appearing.

Oh, this is just a hypothetical question by the way. I'm not actually breeding anything (how could I? I have to males!). :happy:

I'm raising offspring from a golden albino and a wild type at the moment :)

There are 50% gold and 50% wild. But I'm sure this would/could change depending on the axie's backgrounds.

I'm guessing if the larvae are all dark then there probably won't be any golds, unless you're asking about dark eggs, in that case I have no idea. My eggs were white.

Neptune

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. :)

Yes, I'm talking about the larvae and not the actual eggs. Good luck with your youngsters!

elim

Reaction score
My golds were white at the start and slowly began to get their colour. :happy:

piaalexa

Reaction score
I think the egg colour depends on the colour of the mother and does not necessarily mean that the offspring will be that colour. Only a while after they've hatched will you have an idea of what colour the babies will be :)

melfly

Reaction score
I have a gold and a wild that breed 50/50 gold/wild
The same gold produces about 100% wild with another wild and a leucistic.

The wild who fathers the 50/50 is the son of a gold parent.

It depends on the grandparents I believe.

I'm no good with genetics

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!