Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops ensicauda popei (?) metamorph & juvenile

J

john

Well, after several requests, here's a look at what is in the tank behind my head. These are representatives of two different batches of Cynops ensicauda popei that I'm raising at the moment. I apologise for the tank dust in the first photo (forgot to wipe the outside for the first photo, remembered for the second).

Thanks to a certain someone the first is locality known as being Cep. I have 12 of these 3-4 week metamorphs at the moment (had 14 - one died early on in development as a larva, another died recently due to accidental drowning, which I probably could have prevented but I've seen to it that it can't happen again). This little fella is 5 cm long, perhaps 5.5 cm. He/she is currently the best coloured, though they all seem to be developing colour still.

<center>
16398.jpg
</center>

The second individual shows traits of both subspecies. I have 6 of these and the largest is ~ 7.5 cm. It's the most intermediate-looking of the 6 as far as the subspecies go. I would welcome any input on my hybrid theory. Thanks.

<center>
16399.jpg
</center>

(Message edited by john on June 01, 2004)

J

john

Camera settings for the nerds ;) :

Aperture: f/14 or f/16
Shutter speed 1/200
Lens: 60 mm macro lens
ISO: 200
Built-in flash with bounced slave external flash to give a little more ambience.
Built-in flash was compensated -0.3 or -0.7 eV.

J

john

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the compliment
happy.gif
. Any thoughts on the hybrid possibility?

S

shawn

not off hand bud im still a n00b when it comes to newts lol heck i really only know a few of them by common name. latin names are still way too confusing for me lol
Wolfie

L

leonardo

Hi John!
beautiful pics and lovely newts!
I have some very promising popei larvae and metamorphs like yours!
I don't think that the second one here above is a Hybrid...I just suppose that it is quite normal,popei is a very variable-pattern species...even though your specimen has the "typical" orangish spots on his back...(also some of my juvies have them!)
have you got any pic of others hypothetic hybrids?
Bye
Leo

J

jennifer

John, what makes you think hybrid? I would call this second animal high-orange (or low-black). But otherwise, a normal popei. Very nice animals!

J

john

I'm just trying to be controversial ;).

I think it's popei too but definitely a different geographical race to the other batch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!