The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 23rd March 2018   #1
katietbh

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: katietbh is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow White on FBN lower jaw

I currently have five Chuxiong fire-bellied newts. I bought them from a private breeder about a year and a half ago. Mine are captive bred, however he said the parents were wild caught and looked slightly different from the norm.

I have never had any issues with them. I bought all five together so I did not quarantine them or anything. They are all good eaters, and I feed them frozen thawed bloodworms maybe twice a week or as needed. They are active, and physically appear to be healthy and content.

I am in the process of upgrading their tank to a nicer, bigger planted tank. Iíve noticed that my newts all seem to have some white on the bottom of their mouths. Itís been like this for as long as I can remember really, with no real change or progression. I was super afraid that it could be some kind of moth rot or fungal infection, so I figured Iíd make this post.

When I was cleaning their tank, I removed and looked at each newt. The white line that they each seem to have on their lower jawline is not visible when they are out of water and there is nothing that feels like it is protruding from their mouths.

Iíve scoured through other posts on this website yet nobody seems to be having the same issue.

One thing I did consider was that maybe it was just rubbing damage. I do often hand feed them with tongs, so maybe they are scraping their mouths when they bite? During feeding time they also occasionally nip at one another.

I do not want to move them to their new tank until I figure out if they are okay. Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. I might just be being paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Attached are some pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4927.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	52796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4935.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	52797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3398.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	52798  

Last edited by katietbh; 23rd March 2018 at 20:15. Reason: Added another picture
katietbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2018   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: White on FBN lower jaw

It looks more like scrapes than sores. Do they have any rough rock/stone in their tank? I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mouth sores usually manifest as ulcerated areas and are easily identified.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuxiong, fbn, fire bellied newt, fire bellied newt illness, fire bellies, newt, white jaw