Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up first sand tank - is the kicked up sand a problem?

DZhessika

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of cycling my first sand tank for my two baby axies. The water is pretty much as healthy as possible now, and I've done all my decorating!

The problem I have is - Every thing I go to alter something in the tank, ie their food bowl or some of the decorative rocks, it keeps up a load of the sand in the tank and causes the water to become unsettled and filled with sand once again, and it takes a while to settle down. I was just curious as to whether this is dangerous for axolotls when they're in the tank? Because I don't want to be causing them any stress every time i need to clean out their food bowl or whatever!

thanks in advance!

Swag

Reaction score
At most it will mildly perturb them due to lack of vision.

LSuzuki

Reaction score
The sand won't bother the axolotls, but might bother the filter if it gets sucked in. (I ruined a HOB filter that way, I believe.)

How big are the babies? Usually, sand isn't recommended until they are, like, 5".

keiko

Reaction score
I agree with everything that LSuzuki said.

Just wanted to make sure you really know what cycling the tank means? When you say you're in the process of cycling your tank and next you say the water is pretty much as healthy as possible, it just sounded a bit off so I thought I'd ask. Don't mean to be rude, but a lot of people don't really know and end up in trouble because of that.

DZhessika

Reaction score
I agree with everything that LSuzuki said.

Just wanted to make sure you really know what cycling the tank means? When you say you're in the process of cycling your tank and next you say the water is pretty much as healthy as possible, it just sounded a bit off so I thought I'd ask. Don't mean to be rude, but a lot of people don't really know and end up in trouble because of that.

Have had it running for about 4 weeks now, and have done regular ammonia and nitrate tests! I followed the best instructions I could find and have been regularly adding small amounts of fish food as well as bacteria starter and I have some live plants in there in the hope they'd help as well. I have basically been testing and waiting for nitrates, and now when I test there's very small amounts and it's only dropping so I'm assuming that's a good thing and that it's nearly ready and should be in the next couple of weeks??

The babies are about 3-4" long at the moment and they're in a bare bottom tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1