Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

D. tenbrosus larva MORPHED Overnight!

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Well not overnight, but in a week and a half....

fed him an entire nightcrawler ( nearly his own size) a week or so ago and then got busy with grad studies and due dates etc.... went to feed him today and low and behold, his gills had completely reduced. And he has grown a half inch in the last week.
Patterning is coming in bright and strong on the head and the tail is still fairly paddle like.

I would have liked to catch this while it was happening so I could take notes on the process... Oh well... my own fault.

He seems a bit small for the transformation from what I've read and only 3 years old (caught him as a tiny little tadpole) I believe the transformation was due to a water level drop in the tank from 8 inches of water to 5. He has proven a most hardy captive and I was not worried about a temporary drop in water level as he has dealt with it before. Didn't expect him to morph for another year or so.

I'll post a video soon

pete

Reaction score
That's cool. So about how big was it when it transformed? I look forward to a video or some photos maybe.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool. I kept some of these for a bit. They were more... primal? than axolotls. Axolotls are cute, but these guys were predators!

MarioR

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm really looking forward to see the video!

I got some D. tenebrosus too, mine are about 16cm (~6 inches) and are growing fast.

I'm always happy to get information of other Dicamptodon keepers!

Greetings,
Mario

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!