The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 22nd September 2009   #1
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default ATTENTION! Chat Events This Weekend #2

A second experimental event will be held this Friday, 25 September from 2045 to 2130 CST!
(That is 8:45pm to 9:30PM Central Standard Time (North America) for you 12 hour clock people!)

The topic for this event will be:

Building terrestrial vivaria for Caudates

As part of the experiment, the first half of the event will be for questions posted in this thread only!
Please post your questions PRIOR to the start of the event!

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #2
Dylan
(firesalamander)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path
Default Re: ATTENTION! Chat Events This Weekend #2

Gotcha! Ill try to get on!

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #3
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11

Someone should grab the chat log after the event so those who were not in attendance can check it out.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #4
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahm View Post
Someone should grab the chat log after the event so those who were not in attendance can check it out.

That is a brilliant idea! <cough cough>

Old 22nd September 2009   #5
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahm View Post
I'll save it just in case someone else doesn't.

Old 22nd September 2009   #6
Aimee

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Aimee has shown reliable knowledgeAimee has shown reliable knowledge

Wow, this sounds like a very interesting topic! However, since I have no experience whatsoever in building terrestrial vivaria, I don't even know where to begin with questions.

What about material no-no's...? Maybe you experts out there can recount old disaster stories of materials that turned out to be hazardous or started to warp, etc.

A question like "What does a newbie need to know to get started?" seems a little too broad. Perhaps someone can better articulate a question that caters to us newbie vivarium architects

Last edited by Aimee; 22nd September 2009 at 19:36. Reason: more questions
Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009   #7
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

That is a good start. We have some serious (and quite a few professional) vivariasts here and I am certain those questions will be addressed. I know I have some hysterical materials disaster stories from over the years. I may even recount the now infamous "Fruit Fly Incident of 1987" which you all will have to tune in to hear. You will realize what an amazingly tolerant couple my parents were with me as a young "home scientists"...

Here is my contribution to the questions:

What are the differences between terrariums, vivariums, paluadiums, and aquariums?

(I look forward to answering myself on this one)

Old 22nd September 2009   #8
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I'll be there to provide the comic relief. What do you call a newt with only 1 leg? Triturus trilegus. Thank you, thank you very much - I'm here all week.

Old 24th September 2009   #9
Aimee

Nationality:
Comments: 6
Rep: Aimee has shown reliable knowledgeAimee has shown reliable knowledge

I am also curious about the pros and cons of different substrates and false bottoms for terrestrial caudates. Additionally, I have seen foggers that pet stores sell for ridiculous prices. What do you experienced caudate-keepers prefer as far as keeping your vivs at the proper humidity?

Sadly, a friend of mine just up and decided to celebrate her birthday this Friday evening (rude, I know ) so I will not be able to be present for this chat event. However, I still hope that all goes well and that the discussion gets saved so that I can check it out later

Cheers.

Aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009   #10
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Exclamation Re: ATTENTION! Chat Events This Weekend #2

Do not forget, tonight is the night!

Tags
attention, chat, events, weekend