Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton chinensis morphs

freves

Reaction score
I am curious about the various color patterns present in P. chinensis. I checked through the old threads as well as some other websites and cannot find much in the way of specific information. I currently have three individuals, one "dark form" with smooth skin, one that is light brown with very pronounced "warts", and one that is more of an olive color with fairly smooth skin. Are there any specific reasons for the various forms, such as geographic origin, or are they just random occurences?
Chip

wouter

Reaction score
P. chinensis is a species complex. Weisrock et al (2006) showed in their Salamandridae phylogenetic article that there are some related genetic lineages of P. chinensis, likely subspecies or species that have not yet been described. The new Paramesotriton zhijinensis likely belongs to this complex. The species also has a large distribution, so all those morphs could just be related and belong to different mountainranges, or really represent different genetic lineages... its always difficult to say without locality data!

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The light brown one with pronounced warts is probably P. fuzhongensis complex, as P. chinensis has a relatively smooth skin; P. hongkongensis is still regarded by some as a chinensis subspecies. The dark one with very smooth skin may be hongkongensis. Have you an photos?
There does seem to be a darker chinensis morph and a light, olive/putty coloured one, but as Wouter says the species is probably a complex of several species/subspecies. The fact that Grey described it in one short paragraph in ?1856? without any locality information or measurememtns only complicates things!
The new discoveries of apparently localised Paramesotriton species probably means that there are a number of undescribed species still out there, and as many type localities are close to or even in human settlemements, means that they ay well end up on the pet market.
I had a pair of animals and a number of their offspring (now in someone else's care whilst I am at uni) that I now believe to be P. zhijinensis, as both colouration and the nasal glands match the description.

Chris

freves

Reaction score
Thank you both for the input. I should have mentioned that all three individuals have various degrees of yellow spotting. This feature was the only reason that I "rescued" them from the petstore to begin with. I have a really difficult time differentiating between the various Paramesotriton species anyway and I thought that the yellow spots were mostly indicative of P. chinensis. I do not like the thought of potentially producing hybrids. I finally did start taking some pics of my animals however, being a dinosaur, I am still getting the hang of digital photography. I will post pics at a future date. Thanks again.
Chip

PereJosa

Reaction score
Hello

In this foto can you see diferent Paramesotriton chinensis ( i'm thik..) can you see the darker individual (with yellow s`pots in arms) the brown, and "green" ind.

paramesotriton.jpg

It's interesant this question. One of my chinensis 8 months ago, are more darker that present.

Bye

redgy

Reaction score
this is diffenetly P.Chinensis 'couse off de yellow spots on de side's and olive colered back tippecel for Chinensis is de yellow spot on de eng of de back limbs

audrey

Reaction score
hi I am interested in any related information to this topic...... and I was wondering - chris micheals - you said "as P. chinensis has a relatively smooth skin" - I have never read this information and was hoping you could elaborate.
I would not count myself well informed in this matter, however all the newts in my collection which I have been told are chinensis have extremely warty skin. I find that newly imported ones do not show all this texture but that usually seems to reflect their poor conditions rather then what seems to happen when they are healthy and established - all of them exhibit the yellow spots on legs and stomach and lots of variation in coloring from very light grey green to dark blackish olive.

freves

Reaction score
hi I am interested in any related information to this topic...... and I was wondering - chris micheals - you said "as P. chinensis has a relatively smooth skin"

Just a quick update on mine. The other two have "warted out" since my initial post, although the subordinate male has done this to a lesser degree than the female. All seem very healthy otherwise.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1