Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl is unwell plz help

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi every one. I have had my axolotl for about 5 years. She is in a 3ft by 1ft tank with 5inchs of water, in which I dropped the water down to that level about 6weeks ago. She started looking not to well and floating. It has a filter that is on 24/7 and a air pump that I just use for short spells. I was told to put a air pump in when she started looking bad,now the problems a lot of the time she is just floating about and cant get back down, her gills are nice and red at the minute, but some days they loose their colour and get smaller.. She has got a bend near the end of her tail and from just behind her back legs she seems to have a scab type thing (discoloured skin that seems to be loose but does not come off if you touch it) The rest of her is a bit red in patches as well. She is still eating, she has frozen bloodworm and prawns. I have tried putting one water treatment in that I had but that is not helping .Also been changing the water often.
Please help as I dont know what to or what to buy????? I can send pics of her too, just let me no
Thanks Darren :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we could do with a picture here to understand visually what is going on.....and here is a pile of questions that may lead to an answer.:D:D
My initial thought is that this may be a water quality problem, do you test your water for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites?, If so what are your readings ? Also why did you drop your water level so low ? What is your substrate? And finally for now, what was the product you used to treat your axolotl?

dazm2020

Reaction score
hi thanks for replying. ill try and work out how to upload pics of her on here after ive posted this ive never tested the water as shes been fine for all these years. i droped the water level coz i read on a site that if there floating to drop it to stop them getting stressed. how deep would you say i shud have it?
i used a product called melafix its a antibacterial remedy and as substrate ive got big pebbles about 3cm long each so theres no chance she would have swallowed any.
ive put 3 pics on the attachments on here hopefully itll work :D

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 4,266
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7,027
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,118

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have a feeling this illness is due to the water conditions. What type of filter is it, how often do you do water changes, and how often do you do a thorough cleaning of the stones?

Those stones are going to be really bad for your water conditions. They trap SO MUCH waste that the water will foul quickly if not cleaned extremely extremely well. I bet if you moved them around you would be horrified by what's in between them.

Could you provide a picture of the entire setup?

dragonlady

Reaction score
A better pic of the cloaca could help. It looks very irritated. As Julia recommended, all the other info about your tank could help. With the water so shallow, you could have her water too warm for her and that could be part of the problem. If your parameters are off, that could be a problem. Do you use a dechlorinator? What type of filter? The airstone could also be stressing her, not all axolotls like them. I have a few who don't like it one bit.

I would suggest a holiday in the fridge for her now. Fridging

If any of those rocks are not wider than her head, she could have ingested one. You can shine a light through her if you have her in a shallow container. If she has a rock, it will appear very opaque inside. If there is a stone, I'm afraid you will have to seek a vet's attention.

Depending on the actual state of her cloaca, you may need a vet's attention. However, the cool darkness of the fridge could definitely help her for now.

And, so we meet again, Eric...;)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Having seen the pictures I think she will need to see a vet as soon as possible. This looks like an infection that will need antibiotics, which only your vet can supply.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi just got back on here to read your reply's. Some of the things I don't understand, like cloaca. What is this? But the things I can answer are- I have a fluval 2 plus filter, I have put a long pipe coming off the exit with lots of holes in so the water does not disturb her. A couple of bits of drain pipe for her to hide in. I clean it about once every two weeks, but have been cleaning it more since she's been unwell. I use a hose and bucket to suck water from the bottom of the tank between and under the stones. But it is a long time since I have had all the stones out and cleaned them. I have stopped using the airstone now and shes not floating as much. I am going to see a man that knows about these tomorrow after work. I am going to take pics of her and a sample of the water. Hopefully he'll be able to test it for me, then maybe find out something. But if anyone can tell me what to do please post it as I'll try anything to help her. I'll put a pic of my setup on now to shes been in here for years. Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited by a moderator:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Having seen the set up, I am pretty sure the problem is water quality. The stones you are using will trap all sorts of waste underneath them, especially the frozen blood worms. I would advise you to remove her from the tank as soon as possible and place her in a container somewhere cooler, in clean dechlorinated water. This water will need to be changed daily. You need to remove all the stones and I think you will see all sorts of muck under them. I would not re- use them as the size looks large enough to be consumed in error.
The article below will guide you through a procedure called fridging, the weather being as cold as it is, may mean you can place the container in an unheated room, shed etc.

Axolotl Sanctuary

Do ask any further questions if needed.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
By the way...some of those stones do look like they could be swallowed. If you do not have chlorinated water available..you can go to the store and buy bottled water like deer park or poland springs. Take ALL of the stones out and I would consider a complete water change. Leave the bottom bare, or use sand or slate tile...and fill the tank completely. Do all of this as soon as possible.

Crysta

Reaction score
If you do not have chlorinated water available

Eric means de-chlorinated btw. (short, almost pointless post but he may not have noticed)

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi thanks im going to clean all the tank n every thing and try removing the stones. Ive just geting back form seeing someone that said he new about them n it was a bit of a waist of time but he did test my water and its all fine he said the ph level low it was 5or6 but he said he didint no wot it shud be so i need to look that up.ill let yous no after ive cleaned n changed the tank.he thinks its a bacterial problem on her so sold me some treatment to try for that. Fingers crossed.

lea

Reaction score
I use childrens play sand. You will have to rinse it WELL and then rinse it again before you add it to your tank.

dazm2020

Reaction score
Hi every one well i took every thing out the tank n cleaned it all till it was like new ive replaced the stones with sand replaced all the water with new and added some WATERLIFE MYXAZIN FIN ROT & BACTERIA i was sold this the other day when i went to see a man that sold axolotl and so far shes not floating and just about all the redness has gone and the black patches on her tail are just about gone to. So shes looking a lot better within 1day.

Thankyou every one

Ps im thinking about puting some fake plants in like some of you's have in your picks are they just the normal ones for fish tanks and is there any i should not get?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!