ADF aquarium setup

aaustin15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ali
Hi everyone.
i was thinking about getting a 5.5 gallon tank for an ADF. what kind of filtration do you recommend and are there any fish that would be suitable to live with it?
thanks!

These guys are pretty easy to keep I would say... Just a simple internal filter could work or a external filter with a low flow option on it. I have kept a Badis Badis with my ADFs and as far as I know they are compatible with any fish that wont bully it and that share the same water parameters... I would also recommend live foods over dry, they will eat things that move more readily then flakes or pellets.

what do you think about whisper 10is? will it cause too much flow? and ADFs can just eat bloodworms, right?

I personally have experience with the 10i and would say its not a great filter, If you are looking for a cheap, strong filter I would say Marina slim is the best choice. I never used blood worms but according to other sites they are okay to eat, mine went crazy for black worms and daphnia. Then the rest is pretty straight forward give the tank a good water change regime and clean up the excess food and your ADFs should be hardy little frogs... And in groups they tend to be more active. Also might as well throw in there that my frogs loved to play in hideaways and plants.

For more random tidbits I would direct you to the frog forum, thats where I picked up random details that some caresheets dont cover about these guys

Bloodworms are great as treats but I would never use them as a staple.

They make pelleted food which I have found to be great for ADF.

The brand readily available in most pet stores is HBH frog and tadpole bites - I have always used it in the past

i got the pellet kind for frogs by accident when i first got my newt a couple months ago, so actually already have that. i completely forgot i had it. and has anyone had a zoomed 318 canister for theirs?

also i have problems with frog forum being really slow, i don't know why that is.

Hello,
bloodworms will kill your ADCFs! You can feed it for months and then one day the frogs will die immediately. Mine and a lot of other ADCF keepers have done this sad experience several times! Have a look here: African Dwarf Clawed Frogs food and feeding and here: http://pipidae.net/faq_illness.php

IMO a 5.5 gallin tank is too small to keep ADCFs with fish.

In bigger tanks (more than 12 gallons) you can keep them with peacefull killifish, guppies, corydoras, and so on ...

Bye Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back