Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

IAD meet??

C

chris

Well IAD is just a few days away.. Who`s going and does anyone wanna meet? I know I certainly want to meet some of the fantastic personalities from caudata.org.

J

jennifer

The last time we discussed, nobody made any specific suggestion.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/8/6134.html
So here goes. I suggest we all rendezvous at 11:00am on Saturday at Michael Shrom's vendor table. Either we go to lunch, or we just chat there. If there's a change in plan, we'll leave a message there.

There's also the possibility of getting together before the show on Sunday (say, 9:00 am). We can decide that when we meet on Saturday.

Anybody have a better idea?

E

edward

I believe this should be no problem for me.
See you there (unless the plan changes).
Ed

P

paris

who all is going to the dinner? i have yet to buy a ticket incase i arrive too late, i know they can sell out. pin pin and i arrive at BWI within 25 minutes of each other, so we will take the rail to the hotel (anybody know the stop??) it would be nice again for all us outsiders (caudate and caecilian buffs) to get a table together, that way we can heckle "en masse" when they talk about the importance of amphibians in the environment and only refer to them as 'frogs'
kiss.gif

C

chris

I won`t be getting down there until around midnight friday.. I unfortunetely couldn`t get the day off.. If I can find shrom`s table, I`ll try to be there at 11:00. Anyone else here have a table reserved?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Their probably won't be last minute reservations for the banquet. You can try. Meeting at my table will be fine. I'm sorry to say their will only be a few salamanders their. I'll be at the show at about 8:00 a.m. Saturday. The show opens to the public at 10:00 a.m. I doubt that I'll be able to get away at 11:00. Anytime might be tough for me. I just want to meet everybody.

E

edward

A short report on IAD (as I'm very tired and will crash into bed soon).
IAD was a lot of fun as there were several caudate oriented people in attendance (who I hope will post their own comments) along with an excellant talk on Neurergus crocatus and Neurergus strauchi. There were a few newts for sale at a couple of tables but did need to be more represented.

Ed

W

wm.

I got to the show about 10 minutes before the doors opened and within 15 minutes 90% of the available newts were sold (I got the last pair of Taricha torosa from Paris) I was at Mike's table at 11:00 but only met Mike, Paris and I think Pin-Pin. I would have liked to have stayed longer but I brought my Mom and she had a recent hip replacement. It was a nice show esp. if you were looking for terrarium supplies, but still mostly Dart Frogs.

P

paris

i am waiting for pics of the show to be posted- as i know pin pin took a pic of me down on the floor tangling electric cords and im hoping it at least a flattering angle of me! big bummer on the show is alot of people 2 years ago (my last show)asked for popei but no interest this year, esp as i had them labeled 'not for beginners' and because of their small size.(people dont want to raise their own biggies, they want them straight from the box). just wait wm.gordon-i should be living in this area within 2 years, then it will be easier for me to bring more stuff and i wont have lost as much in the summers due to a/c issues (cause i wont be living in a desert!). im not home yet-btw-i have to go catch the rail to bwi to fly home. post those pics (esp the group pic)soon pin pin/jenni!

P

pin-pin

It was a definite pleasure to put faces on the names that I've talked with on the forum. Although only Henk's talk was caudate-centric, the other talks were either informative (Ed's) or stunning (Dick's 3-screen talk about the Amazon and Appalachian(s?)).

The off-lecture talks were captivating as well.

More Tarichas would have helped, but everything could have a little more Tarichas in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

I'll see about downloading pictures by the end of this week.

J

jennifer

I had a great time too. Lots of people to meet and great conversations.

Here is a photo of the caudata group. Front: Paris and EdK. Back: me, Pin-Pin, Dick Bartlett, Henk Wallays, Chris Gagnon.

14201.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the Frog Pond, Michael Shrom was tending shop:

14202.jpg

E

edward

Hi All,
Just before I left I spent some time speaking to the IAD organizers. The Atlanta Botanical Garden offered to host the next IAD and the organizers are considering moving the venue down there for a year or two. If the show is moved down there then one of the events for the show would be a field trip to look for salamamders.

Ed

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the show moved to Atlanta that would be awesome for me! I read these posts wistfully....getting to Maryland either takes a long drive or airfare, both impractical for me. But Atlanta is drivable! I hope next year I'll get to meet some of you guys....
proud.gif

P

pin-pin

As requested by Paris (also showing the three slide projectors used by Dick Bartlett, Dick's wife, and Robin):

DSCN1312.jpg

Small guys:

DSCN1309.jpg

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I guess you could say that Justin Yeager is also part of the Caudata.org group. I see he is a new recruit. Justin gave a talk on his work with Atelopus frogs in Costa Rica.

E

edward

Well it looks like the next IAD (2005) will be held in Baltimore probably the last week of April or the first week of May. The IAD after that they want to hold in a different location if there are sufficient personnel available to plan it.
Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1