Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton full article!

J

jesper

Hi,
http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/0006-2928/contents
The first article click on the PDF-form and there you go...

Maybe you already knew this, it came out in June...

Anyway, it confirms(through genetic data) that fuzhongensis and guanxiensis are separate species. Actually guanxiensis is closer to deloustali.
Caudopunctatus seem to be the stem to the rest of the Paramesotriton genus(except maybe laoensis which is not treated here..).
Nice article!

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks Jesper!

Seems only the abstract is available for free:

ABSTRACT:

Molecular Phylogeny of the Genus Paramesotriton (Caudata: Salamandridae)

By Shunqing Lu, Zhi-Gang Yuan, Junfeng Pang, Datong Yang, Fahong Yu, Peter McGuire, Feng Xie, Ya-Ping Zhang

"To elucidate the phylogeny of the genus Paramesotriton (Caudata: Salamandridae), we investigated three mitochondrial DNA gene fragments (1207 bp in total) of cytochrome b, ND2, and ND4 for its six recognized species. The phylogenetic relationships within Paramesotriton were reconstructed by maximum parsimony (MP) and maximum likelihood (ML) methods. Phylogenetic trees (MP and ML trees) that were constructed from the combined data set of the three gene fragments indicated that all six species of Paramesotriton formed a monophyletic group, with P. caudopunctatus as basal to the other five species. This result suggests that P. fuzhongensis is a valid species in Paramesotriton."

Source: Biochemical Genetics
42 (5-6): 139-148, June 2004

A

alan

Thanks for the heads up Jesper - I missed this one.
I have a copy of the full article if anyone is interested in the details.

J

jesper

Hi,
I just checked, it is there...

It might be because i have access through my university, It said nothing about it though.

I have sent you a copy Tim. Give me an email I'll send the article in PDF form. Alan is probably busy working, he is Dr.Cann after all ;)
Me I have a lot of free time until Januari when I start working too.....

TJ

Reaction score
Yeah, when I click on the PDF file, the site wants to charge me $25 to view it.

Thanks very much for the copy!

A

alan

Oddly enough, reading caudata.org is slowly turning into working! (The PCR primers listed in the paper will be very useful!).

J

jesper

Don't worry I'll charge you - no problem Alan
biggrin.gif

Btw I have found some more articles that might be of use, I posted a list in the general forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1